In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

243 Win and 100 gr nosler partion bullets

A 1 in 10 twist in a 243 Win should stabilize a 100 Nosler Partion bullet on a normal 75 degree day, should it?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have a Valmet model 412 with 243 barrel with a 1 in 10 twist The federal premium load with 100 grain Nosler partition is one of the best loads I have ever shot in a break open gun .
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    perry shooter

what is your group size at 100 yards?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I bought one box years ago when I was first mounting a scope.I got them for the cases I thought I would reload ...After sighting in at 50 yards my first 5 shots went .410 outside to outside. [:D] to the best of my measurement with dial indicator. I went back to the gun shop and bought every box of that lot number they had. I have bought other lots that all shoot sub one inch[:)] but none as good as that first lot.I take the gun out to zero each hunting season and shoot one five shot group 3 with one lot number and the last 2 with the first special lot number.those 2 shots have never failed to have the holes touch. Being this is a single shot under a 12Ga. shotgun I hunt with one of the easy to replace lots but carry 3 of the SPECIAL lot in case I get a long range shot at a BIG BOY[:p][:p] I hunt from a ground stand go in before day light and set all day.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Perry shooter

Thanks.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mmgunguy,

When Winchester brought out the .243 Win they gave it a 1-10 twist specifically to stabilize 100 gr. bullets. You may have read about Remington giving their then .244 out in 1-12" thinking no one would use the 6mm diameter bullets as deer bullets. They were wrong and Winchester was right. People do use 6mm bullets for deer hunting. and the preferred bullet is usually a 100 gr. Remington later changed the name to the 6mm Rem and changed the twist after three years of low sales in the .244 to 1-9".

Yes, the 1-10" twist will perfectly stabilize a 100 gr. bullet. And a Partition is a good bullet to use.