In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

185Gr.Load with IMR4350

malbillymalbilly Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
I am looking for a load that uses Remington 185 Gr. PSPCL, IMR4350, & WIN WLR primers. I usually load 150 Gr. Rem. PSPCL, 38.0 Grs. IMR4350, & Win WLR primers. This load has worked very well in my 63-year old Turkish Mauser. I am looking for a similar load using the 185 Gr. Rem. PSPCL bullets. Can anyone help.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    38 grains is a VERY mild load with a 150 grain bullet and IMR 4350, despite what the manuals say. In fact, regarding this cartridge, a lot of manuals simply have misprints; try chronographing some of the loads- they are just wrong.

I've not used 4350 much but have used 4064 a fair amount with both 150 and 185 grain bullets. 38 grains of THAT powder is STILL a mild load; I use it in my 88 93 action guns. It moves along at about 2100 fps- pretty slow. 45gr is what I use in my 98 actions for the 185. It is going along at about 2500 fps- still SLOWER than surplus using a 200 gr bullet, ergo milder, given similar powder burn rates. As 4350 is slower than 4064, assuming you have a 98 action (and a Turk made in 44 would be) I would not hesitate to try 45 gr of 4350 and work up from there; I'd guess 50 would not be out of order.

NOTE- this is the ONLY cartridge I would recommend ignoring the published load data on- and then ONLY if you are using it in a 98 action. The load manuals soft-pedal the loads fearing someone will use them in an old GEW 88 with a .318" bore. Those guns had a working pressure of around 37k PSI whereas the 98 can handle 50k without a problem.

All that said, it is of course, based on the condition of your gun.

Happy shooting,

Jon
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on what jonk said regarding soft peddling the 8mm Mauser loads.

I use 50 gr. of 4064 behind a 200 gr. Speer. That is a hot load but I have gone a grain higher. Anyhow, I would concur that 38 gr. of 4350 is pretty mild. Nosler shows the max as 52.0 gr. with a 180 gr. bullet. They also show that with the 200 gr. bullet for a velocity of 2700 fps. Having used that much 4064 I know that is a safe load.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:38 grains is a VERY mild load with a 150 grain bullet and IMR 4350, despite what the manuals say. In fact, regarding this cartridge, a lot of manuals simply have misprints; try chronographing some of the loads- they are just wrong.

I have yet to find a load for any one of my rifles that regardless of barrel length have produced the close to the claimed velocities with the published loads, but that doesn't mean they are wrong. You would have to repeat all the variables exactly as the publisher had to achieve these and the recommended loads are still averages.

Jonk does have a point that the loads are well below what your rifle can handle, BUT that is assuming that your rifle is in tip-top shape and remember not all rifles are the same.

Take Jonk's info into account because it is worth remembering, but I still recommend starting with published start loads and working up. You might be suprised where your rifle actually sharts to group good at. It may be at a quite lower charge than you wouls think. Anyways, Good Luck and Good Shooting!