In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help with 44mag again...

I know the overall length has to be under 1.610. With the XTP bullets, how far do you usually seat them? They have that crimped ring around the bullet, is that where you seat it to? I ran a couple blank rounds through the press and they come out at 1.60 but there is still some of the ring showing. Does that matter?
How heavy of a crimp needs to go on the 44? I'll post a pic of what the rounds are looking like, maybe you guys could better understand from them.
Pic is a little blurry but if you can help me out I'd appreciate it.

IMG_0940.jpg

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Golden, from the pic it looks real good.. I just "round" of the top of the case into the "crimp ring", make sure there is not a buldge just under the crimp. won't be able to put shell in cylinder with that. NICE WORK.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Looks good to me[8D] As long as the crimp is in the groove, that's all that matters, and the bullet does'nt stick out the end of the cylinder, with different bullets, that's what you have to watch.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys...that's what I was hoping ot hear. There is no buldge at all and the crimp is definitely in the groove. It took me longer to load 10 rds of 44 than it does 50 rds of 45ACP. My powder measure does not like H110 at all. I had to trickle powder into each case to get it where I wanted it.
    Although, I'm using the rounds for hunting so I'd rather take my time and get them right.
    Also realized the Lee Factory crimp is uselss on these...it just buckled the brass out of shape even at a light setting. The seating die seems to be crimping just right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Golden, what brand of powder measure do you have? I've got a 20yr old Lyman and it works fine with H110. Sometimes the first couple throws will be alittle stuff (SEEM to bind) but after that just fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    unfortunately all I could afford at the time was Lee. I'm working on changing that this Christmas. I tried the Lee "perfect" Powder measure...sent it back. I have a Lee Pro Auto disk mounted on the press now. It loves W231 powder, dead on every time. It hates the H110. It's off by at least 1 gr on every throw. Even threw some evtra to get it "warmed up". Still no help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Christmas can't come soon enuf then[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    trying to decide if I should nite the bullet and get the Dillon 550 or just get a nicer powder measure for now. The Lee 4-turret cast press I have now is working fine. I'd like to have an RCBS Uniflow on my bench for moments like this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been reloading for about 20yrs and all i've ever used is a single stage RCBS rockcrusher press. So I cant comment on a dillon. I do my reloading in my spare time and I always seem to have enuf ammo around. I load for 9mm,40S&W, 38spl, 357mag, 41mag,44spl,44mag and as you know started 45acp recently. I just pop a die in change a shell holder and go. I'm sure if I had the funds to get a Dillon progressive and all the hardware, I'd be a happy man. I'd rather use the cash for guns than equipment at this time. My setup works just fine for me. But to each his own.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    I've been reloading for about 20yrs and all i've ever used is a single stage RCBS rockcrusher press. So I cant comment on a dillon. I do my reloading in my spare time and I always seem to have enuf ammo around. I load for 9mm,40S&W, 38spl, 357mag, 41mag,44spl,44mag and as you know started 45acp recently. I just pop a die in change a shell holder and go. I'm sure if I had the funds to get a Dillon progressive and all the hardware, I'd be a happy man. I'd rather use the cash for guns than equipment at this time. My setup works just fine for me. But to each his own.[;)]

Exactly why I went with the Lee Classic 4 turret press. Heard it was reliable, a little faster than a single stage but did not want to spend enormous amounts of money on a Dillon. I'm like you, would rather put it towards new firearms. Should have gone with the Rockcrusher looking back now though. Oh well, hind sight...
  • Options
    csteinhcsteinh Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    goldeneagle, the Lee crimp die is for .44 special and .44 magnum; you have to screw it out a bunch in the .44 magnum to keep from "over crimping" and crushing the case. Once you set the length correctly, it crimps very nicely.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you are only loading for pistols, look at the Dillon Square Deal B, they come With dies and Dillon will set it up for you. I have two, one set up for small, and one for large primers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by csteinh
    goldeneagle, the Lee crimp die is for .44 special and .44 magnum; you have to screw it out a bunch in the .44 magnum to keep from "over crimping" and crushing the case. Once you set the length correctly, it crimps very nicely.

You do not NEED to use the factory crimp die do you? I've only been using the seater die and it seems to be crimping nicely. As per picture on my first post.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, before I got the Dillons I used RCBS dies for my 44's. Your loads look good, lock the seater die where it is. the only thing you might have to change is the seating stem if you change bullets.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GE76

What is you technique for using the LEE disk powder measure. I have one mounted on my LEE 1000 progressive press and I give it two knocks twice for each stroke of the lever. I am loading 9mm Para and 9mm Largo using W231 and if I don't rap on the powder measure I will get an occaisional under charge of powder. I manually feed cases and bullets so I rap the measure when I load a case and I rap the measure when I load the bullet and doing that along with carefully feeling for primer seating I can make a lot of good ammo. If I skip any of these detail I can get a lot of bad ammo.

Back to the disk measure, if and when I set up to load .357 (I have a Dan Wesson model 15) I expect to use H110 or maybe not now that you say you have had problems, 1 grain variablility is a huge problem for me on a 21 grain H110 load.

Do you do anything to settle the powder between each cycle???

TIA

Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dtknowles
    GE76

What is you technique for using the LEE disk powder measure. I have one mounted on my LEE 1000 progressive press and I give it two knocks twice for each stroke of the lever. I am loading 9mm Para and 9mm Largo using W231 and if I don't rap on the powder measure I will get an occaisional under charge of powder. I manually feed cases and bullets so I rap the measure when I load a case and I rap the measure when I load the bullet and doing that along with carefully feeling for primer seating I can make a lot of good ammo. If I skip any of these detail I can get a lot of bad ammo.

Back to the disk measure, if and when I set up to load .357 (I have a Dan Wesson model 15) I expect to use H110 or maybe not now that you say you have had problems, 1 grain variablility is a huge problem for me on a 21 grain H110 load.

Do you do anything to settle the powder between each cycle???

TIA

Tim

IMO, I think Lee powder measures just have a problem with H110 type powders. But I have it mounted on my 4 turret classic press. With Win231, it was dead on every time. Just pulled the lever down and on the way up it would "knock" like it is intended to do...did not need to do anything else. I've tried all kinds of methods with the H110 and nothing has worked yet. Had a disk in that was supposed to kick out 22.3grains...it was kickin out a little more than 21, then 23, etc. All over the place.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well, shot the rounds I loaded and they were NICE!!! I had about 12 rds at 22.3 gr of H110 and about 20+ rds of 23gr H110 that I will be using for hunting. After getting my scope sighted in they were all pretty much dead on. thanks for the help guys.