In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading magazines...

theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
Hey all, just a quick question:

My subscription to Shooting Times is running out, and I wondered if there were any better monthly magazines that covered reloading info/and or/equipment. All suggestions are appreciated, other than the one where you tell me to go jump in a lake Avatars_Evil.gif

Quick edit: Keep in mind when it comes to reloading, I'm a total noob, and I haven't even bought any equipment yet [;)]

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would do better to buy a real handloading manual - The Lyman is good - than to try to dig information out of periodicals. They are mostly puff pieces for new products rather than serious instruction.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boogy Man

Your not all that far away, perhaps some weekend you can stop by and look over my setup and thumb through a few different loading manuals.

I'm about 15 miles from Tawas, and 30 miles from West Branch
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree, I no longer buy the ST and G&A magazines because I was tired of the same old recycled articles and the which is better tease pieces. Spend your money on Reloading Manuals and maybe get a ballistic program or two that gives you more flexibility. Handloader magazine is better than most of the other gun magazines if reloading is your interest. My experience anyway.
  • theboogeymantheboogeyman Member Posts: 783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk Carse: I agree, and I actually planned on buying a half-dozen or so manuals. I've also already bought ABCs of Reloading (I think I got the title right). I just want something that'll give me periodic reviews of equipment, new powders, etc.

Tailgunner: Sounds like a good idea. You can't be more than 45-60 minutes away, and it's been awhile since I've been over that way. We'll have to keep in touch.

Pinhead: Thanks for the heads-up on Handloader. I'll check it out as well as the reloading manuals.
    edited November -1
    TBM
    You have mail
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heres some reading for you. Not exactly the answer to your question, but info none the less.
    http://www.handloadersbench.com/
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    Heres some reading for you. Not exactly the answer to your question, but info none the less.
    http://www.handloadersbench.com/

Hey, it's good info, so it applies! Much appreciated [:)]
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
    edited November -1
    TBM
    It was good to meet you, I just hope that you can recover from the information overload before deer season starts.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    TBM
    It was good to meet you, I just hope that you can recover from the information overload before deer season starts.

LOL, no problem! It was alot of fun and I learned quite a bit. I really appreciated you "showing me the ropes". You're gonna have to email me the pictures when you get that new .300 Tomahawk up and running [;)]
  • roger460xvrroger460xvr Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    check out www.handloadermagazine.com a real good mag.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roger460xvr

Waiting for my first issue to arrive in the mail [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by theboogeyman
    quote:Originally posted by roger460xvr

Waiting for my first issue to arrive in the mail [;)]

It arrived today! I've been pretty impressed, although a few of the topics will be a tad over my head until I get more experience reloading [:D]
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The More, The Merrier! This is one topic it definately applies too! You just can't have too many manuals! And a good ballistic program is the berries also. Once I find a "Pet" load, chrony it, and document it( so I don't forget details), I use Sierra's Infinity program to plot the load to almost any condition.
    edited November -1
    Sierra's Infinity Program? Tell me more....what does it do, and where do I get it? [;)]
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Sierra Infinity 5.1! You can get it from MidwayUSA( well that's where I got mine). It won't help you work up any loads, but it can do about anything else. You have a very wide selection of Manufactures and calibers to choose from when it comes to bullets and the choice to even enter custom bullet data. You can figure trajectory with it utilizing any temperature, humidity, barometer, wind drift, etc.. factors you would like. All you have to do is select the bullet manufacture, caliber, style, weight, and then enter the velocity, humidity, etc. and there you go. It will even figure PBR(point blank range) and MPBR(maximum point blank range) as well as give you MOA changes for a give load and zero at 1MOA,1/2MOA,1/4MOA, and 1/8MOA, this is very handy to adjust a scope to a specific range after the zero range. It is too difficult to explain everything that you can do with it. But it can be very useful! I have included the link at MidwayUSA to this item. This is just the software, but the also offer it with a reload manual and rifle and pistol manual for a little more money. Hope this helps. Good Luck and Good Shooting!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=161153&t=11082005
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jtmarine0831
    I have Sierra Infinity 5.1! You can get it from MidwayUSA( well that's where I got mine). It won't help you work up any loads, but it can do about anything else. You have a very wide selection of Manufactures and calibers to choose from when it comes to bullets and the choice to even enter custom bullet data. You can figure trajectory with it utilizing any temperature, humidity, barometer, wind drift, etc.. factors you would like. All you have to do is select the bullet manufacture, caliber, style, weight, and then enter the velocity, humidity, etc. and there you go. It will even figure PBR(point blank range) and MPBR(maximum point blank range) as well as give you MOA changes for a give load and zero at 1MOA,1/2MOA,1/4MOA, and 1/8MOA, this is very handy to adjust a scope to a specific range after the zero range. It is too difficult to explain everything that you can do with it. But it can be very useful! I have included the link at MidwayUSA to this item. This is just the software, but the also offer it with a reload manual and rifle and pistol manual for a little more money. Hope this helps. Good Luck and Good Shooting!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=161153&t=11082005

Sound great, thanks for the heads-up! [:)]