In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BEST BENCH REST POSITION ???

03lover03lover Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
Are there any benchrest shooters on this forum that have a preferred position for firing a rifle off a solid bench using bags and or a good forend rest.

I have heard some prefer to hold the forend of the rifle and others prefer to tuck the forend hand under the butt of the rifle.

I have also heard holding the forend of the rifle is better with light rifles and heavy rifle accuracy is better to let the rifle recoil freely.

What does work best or is it nothing more than personal preference.

Comments

• Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    It is personal preferance. There are champion shooters who are gripers and other who prefer to pinch, do what works best for you.
    From bags I place my shoulder into the rifle just hard enough to absorb the recoil, my left hand is supporting the rear bag, my cheek is lightly on the cheek rest and I rest my right thumb on the back of the trigger gaurd and gently "pinch" the trigger. That is what works best for me, others may be different.
  • juddroyjuddroy Member Posts: 204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consistency is the key.Doing the exact same thing every time.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't touch the rifle with my offhand. I use it to adjust the windage and elevation on the front rest, then if anything I'll grip the rear bag with it.
  • SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mk 19;

I tried your method with the 'pinching' gambit for making the shot....

And it works wonderfully!

Thanks! for the valuable info. I thoroughly enjoy reading experts....

Sahagan
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:Mk 19;

I tried your method with the 'pinching' gambit for making the shot....

And it works wonderfully!

Thanks! for the valuable info. I thoroughly enjoy reading experts....

Sahagan

I'm glad that worked out for you, remember to be as consistant as possable with any pressure that is placed on the gun.