In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's Up With Ammo Prices???

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
Is it my imagination or have factory ammo prices skyrocketed in the past year or so? Perhaps it's the price of gas driving ammo prices upwards. After all, the stuff is pretty heavy and shipping it from the factory does cost money. However, I remember reading an article a few years ago that claimed the Libs were going to ban guns by sending ammunition prices through the ceiling, making it just too hard for the average Joe to afford time at the range.

Just two years ago I was able to buy a box of Wolf 45 ACP (made in Russia) for about $5.00/box, if I shopped around. I recently did an online search and wasn't able to find the same ammo for less than $10/box.

Can anyone out there shed any light on this subject. Is the rising cost of ammo due to legislation, fuel prices, the average shooter's increasing taste for premium ammo, or is it something else altogether?

By the way, where do those of you who shoot factory ammo go to find reasonably priced fodder for your favorite shooting iron?

Comments

• ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lead prices are up almost 150% in the last two years, copper prices are significantly more expensive as well. Re-load it is still somewhat cheaper than buying factory. Even when commodity prices fall again I doubt the prices will come back down. My only question is why when steel prices are lower does the price of steel shotshells keep climbing every time the price of the lead ones go up.... that is just not right.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The prices have gone up because of most brass, lead and copper going into the ammo made for the military now.
  • Explorer1Explorer1 Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The underlying issue is world demand. Yes, the war effort is affecting supply and demand, but the real issue is construction in China!
    Just look at the infrastructure projects they have ongoing, its not just metals. Concrete, oil, etc. have all gone up.
    And us Americans continue to given them the cash they need to outbid us on these products by buying their exports. Just look at the trade imbalance we have with China.
    I saw $50 a bag for lead shot tonight, about fell over. Just a month ago, it was "only ~40.
  • SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And....you don't have to shoot. You don't have to shoot at targets, you don't have to shoot at animals, you really shouldn't be shooting at people.

So, buying ammo would be considered an expenditure of discretionary income, that is, income you'd use for hobbies, wimmen, and other unnecessary suchlike.

Therefore, they can pretty much charge you whatever they like.

I recall my Dad had a farm tractor that used a particular bearing. It cost a whopping $13.95 from the tractor dealership. That same identical bearing, used in a dirt bike, cost, from the bike dealer, $69.95.

One is an business based need, the other a discretionary income decision.

They do the same thing with ammo.

Sahagan
  • non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ladams
    Lead prices are up almost 150% in the last two years, copper prices are significantly more expensive as well. Re-load it is still somewhat cheaper than buying factory. Even when commodity prices fall again I doubt the prices will come back down. My only question is why when steel prices are lower does the price of steel shotshells keep climbing every time the price of the lead ones go up.... that is just not right.

??? I thought steel had come up too [?]
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only loaded ammo significantly affected by higher commodity prices are promotional ammo, cheap .22 LR, cheap shot shells, bulk 9mm and .223. Everything else has always been priced way above the cost of material. The increased cost of commodities should only add a couple cents to the cost of premium ammo. Bulk cast or swaged lead bullets will be effected but premium jacked bullets should not be.

The manufactures are using this as a chance to "raise all boats". If sales volumes slump the prices will come back down.

Tim
  • SahaganBetaSahaganBeta Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, would you stockpile ammo?

Right now, I'm buying at least twice as much ammo per week, as I shoot per week. Given enough time and money, my stock of ammo should begin to show considerable increase.

Although, I'm only buying ammo for guns I currently own. And I'd love to have a .22-250, and even a 30-06. Maybe I should start buying ammo for those already.

Sahagan
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not sock away too much ammo at todays prices. Remember Buy low sell high. Prices are high right now. That said you should always have a good supply of quality ammo just in case of the unexpected. For me 1000 rounds or components to load a 1000 rounds for each caliber I shoot.

Tim
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I just finished loading the last of my $17.00 #8 lead shot the other day. Two months ago it was $29.99 at the closest Bi-Mart, last month it was $40.00, last week it was $50.00 at the Vancouver Sportsmans Warehouse. We are looking at trying to buy it in pallet lots, and haul it ourselfs. I too, think the world market is the main culprit.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.