In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Saga of the Stevens 200

Cheap rifle...now bringing 300 bucks.

7mm/08..shot 2 MOA or worse..up to 3" groups at 100 yards.
The stock is plastic...pillar bedded.
I built an aluminum bedding block, routed out the stock for it, and bedded the action completely, front to back with Marine-Tex.

Hied myself off to the range..and got 5-6 inch groups.
Back to the shop, removed 2/3 rds of the bedding material..bedding the front of the action and around the rear action screw only.

60 inch pounds of torque..and back to the range with 175 Gr 1940 Sierra BTSP and just under max Varget.
The little rifle now groups under 6" at 600 yards.

Simply amazing.

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball,

They are the ultimate in "Throw a dart and we'll see where we put the money into the rifle" firearms manufacture. But, I've seen a few of them this past month at the deer rifle sight ins that shot sub MOA at 200 yds. All but one were .243's and the 'one' was a .30-06. All shooting factory ammo. Nary a one shot a reload
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Highball,

They are the ultimate in "Throw a dart and we'll see where we put the money into the rifle" firearms manufacture. But, I've seen a few of them this past month at the deer rifle sight ins that shot sub MOA at 200 yds. All but one were .243's and the 'one' was a .30-06. All shooting factory ammo. Nary a one shot a reload

My little 243 will group WELL under an inch @ 100, and right around MOA out to 200. It can shoot better than me, that's all I know.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Have heard the same thing. I just didn't get lucky enough to get one of the tack-drivers...least till I overhauled it.

Pleased as punch, right now.

By the way..factory ammo still groups well over MOA.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Have heard the same thing. I just didn't get lucky enough to get one of the tack-drivers...least till I overhauled it.

Pleased as punch, right now.

By the way..factory ammo still groups well over MOA.

I don't yet handload for the 243. I get great groups from the standard 100gr Federal Powershok ammo.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.