In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

casting bullets

looking to start casting bullets for 45, 30 caliber, and 38/357.

What molds and furnaces are best?

Comments

• Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i have never tried this but i am thinking a head in case SHTF and we have a hard time if the DEMOCRAPS get in the big house
    will tire weights work for casting a .45acp i also have a lot of reclamed lead shot and a few molds i have picked up her and there
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am doing research and am going to try to start casting my own bullets. Any advice or suggested reading maybe recommended equitment to start with? Any help would be great!

NREMT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey all. I've been away from here for awhile-life happens! Anyway, I still manage to make it to the range and shoot often enough but still haven't set up my loading bench yet. I've acquired most all of my reloading eqipment and some compnents, actually I think I've scored some really good buys. Anyway, my question is about casting bullets. I'm interested in casting eventually too and was wondering are there any guns or calibers that are better to cast for than others. I figure 30/30 and 357 are what I'd like to start with. Are there rules to casting. Can you not cast bullets for the bullets of higher velocity such as the 22-250 and 300 WinMag? What about 9mm, 10mm? I know I can look in catalogs and research this stuff, but I'm asking from real experience, any bullet sizes/styles/sizes to avoid? I will probably always buy bullets for my bolt guns to hunt with, but I think casting could fill some downtime and teach me a new skill to boot-and hey-coffee cans full of bullets!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So just started casting for my 45-70,And I got some wheel weights and cast my first 50,and wow after 5 or so they started droping nice,so in the melt I used some tin solider with 95% Sn and 5% Sb,at first it was an 11 Bnh and guess the needed to be harder for say running up to 40,000 cup, so I heated to 460 for an hour and quenched them and tested again and the hardness after that was 14 bnh, so tested today and wow!22.7 bnh so my question is how hard should I be going for if I want to hunt elk and bear with this bullet shooting top loads and also plan on using h4198 any other sugestions on powder will be helpfull,I have read a lot and see some guide lines to use and think I am on the right track. thanks.... messed up the subject line [V]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Wheel weights are fairly hard. I use them for my bullets. Be careful of the reclaimed lead you have, it might be soft. If it is you have to add to it to make it harder.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Casting can be fun but read up on Lead warnings first! The Lyman cast bullet handbook covers most everything you need to know and equipment to use. Lots of choices in lubes and diameters besides alloy. I'd look at your molds now as it takes little damage to render them useless. Casting is an art, and the more you do the better you get. A day at the range is a whole lot cheeper. Actually I spend the same amount but get to shoot 10 times as much.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use wheel weights, most are #2 alloy but as lead gets harder and more expensive some are now made out of I dont know what. If you have access to wheel weights free get all you can now as the price of lead is going up just like everything else.I load .45 acp for about $3.00/ box.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wheel weights are great for cast bullets. The shot is OK...but pretty soft. The shot also contains arsenic (it helps make the shot round when being made)...Melting shot in humid conditions could pose a health problem.
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    the shot i have is what i make weights for fishing and decoy anchors
    this is something it looks like i am going to have to try
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Casting can be fun but read up on Lead warnings first! The Lyman cast bullet handbook covers most everything you need to know and equipment to use. Lots of choices in lubes and diameters besides alloy. I'd look at your molds now as it takes little damage to render them useless. Casting is an art, and the more you do the better you get. A day at the range is a whole lot cheeper. Actually I spend the same amount but get to shoot 10 times as much.

is this the book you are refering to???
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=796528

I have picked up tons of previously casted bullets and want to get into casting bullets.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the old sprial bound book from the 70's, hopefully the new one covers Lead warning better. 30 pages or so of molds, casting, sizing, loading and then tons of loading data. For rifles I like Loverin designs 323470, wheel guns Kieth designs 429421, 45 ACP round nose reliable feeder 452374. For lube I usually use the old NRA formula of 50% ALOX 50% beeswax. Hard lead usually wheel weights with some extra tin added. I seldom use gas checks, the added cost and trouble is usually not worth the extra 400 fps. The easy way to learn is from an experanced caster, ask around at your gunshop or range.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello if possible get H&G model 68 bevel base mold blocks 4 cavity are great and a bevel base bullet is eaiser to load make the OAL 1.240 with a taper crimp of .469 + or - these are great target bullets and with hard metal will cut a hole in a deer like the old FEARLESS FOSTIC comics[:p][:p]
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Casting bullets is fairly easy and makeing great bullets is very hard. The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is highly recommended.

For the .45 Auto (my opinion others may differ) soft lead is fine. The low velocity of the .45 auto is the key in this. I would recommend soft lube as well.

Anyone can make OK bullets with a little practice but to make great accurate bullets is more effort. Consistent alloy, sorting, weighting, sizing, etc. all can improve your bullets.

Tim
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have casted literally tons of lead bullets. The big thing is to keep the pot in a ventilated area while casting.
    NEVER get fluid near the molten lead.
    Use good practices when fluxing.
    A poor mans flux is candle wax. Light the vapors to reduce smoke and stir the lead until all dirt has come to the top. Flux often and deeply.
    The best casting temp can change from bullet to bullet and needs to be noted for best results. My pot runs a lot of bullets at about 710 degrees.
    Lee molds are fine Lyman are better IMNSHO.
    Wheel weights, old shot, plumbing parts and other junk lead works well as long as it is clean when casting.
    Batteries are not bullet making material!
    Candle smoke in a mold helps it fill out, oil in a mold will drive you nuts with wrinkles.
    Clean oil from the molds with Acetone or MEK. Heat the mold on the pot to help bullets form best.
    Keep a fire extinguisher next to your work.
    Drop bullets onto a old folded bath towel pour them from the towel into a coffee can using the towel like a funnel.
    Wear long sleeve shirts made from COTTON. Wear leather shoes and long pants too.
    Dropping a full coffee can of 45's on the kitchen floor makes the wife unhappy, dents the hell out of the floor and takes an amazingly long time to pick all the bullets up.
    The Lyman cast bullet handbook is priceless for information.
    Bullet alloy is a science; but you can get up to 850FPS from soft lead if lubed well.
    Wheel weights are pretty hard and are good upp to 44MAG full power loads.
    I like ALOX/Beeswax for lube, it smells good.
    I am sure other, better lubes are available but I still have 10 pounds of ALOX/beeswax to use up.
    The Lyman 20 pound production pot is awesome for large volume casting needs.
    "Keith" style bullets tend to shoot best in 38 and 44 type cases.
    email if you have any other questions.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shootlow:
    wheel weights will work great for 45 auto cast bullets. I've used wheel weights for years and my only problem, if you can call it that, is that the alloy of wheel weights is fairly high in a metal called antimony. When bullets are cast the surface will have a "crystaline" look about it. This is generally removed during the sizeing/lubing operation leaving a much smoother bearing surface.

The problem is now wear on the sizing die itself! I have personely worn out two lyman type sizing dies for an old style lyman 450. As I got more into casting I found a local lead dealer who does most of his work with the print industry and was able to buy several hundred pounds of monotype. This is much harder than linotype and by doing a slight blend in a large 90 pound lead pot I was able to get the wear problem to go away. Please bear in mind the time frame was early 80's, I was shooting IPSC with two friends, and we were burning up about 3000 rounds a month in practice. Two years of that wore out both dies. If your not planning that type of shooting plain old wheel weights will provide years of shootng for you with no problems[8D]
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About a year ago I too decided to give casting a try. My lessons learned are as follows.

The Lee line of casting products work extremely well and are inexpensive. I like using the tumble lube type bullet molds as there is no need for a expensive sizer and luber with seperate top punches for each type bullet cast. The molds come with the handles aready attached where as the more expensive molds require purchasing the handles seperately.

I cast up a bunch, then weigh them and segregate, place the bullets in a plastic ziplock, drizzle a little of the Lee liquid Alox in and tumble. Dump them out on a piece or paper or tin foil to dry overnight. Next day run them through a Lee sizer die which sizes by pushing the bullet through the die from the base. After sizing I lube them again lightly.

I have loaded both .45 and .38 using this method and I'm very happy with the results. No leading at all through my .45 and very little through my .38/.357.

As far as lead goes I've had good luck casting use lead picked up from our range. If you take the time to pick up individual bullets you can cast some very clean and hard bullets. I have just cast some wheel weights but not had a chance to test any at the range.

I do recommend getting some sort of hardness tester. Again Lee makes an inexpensive one that is simple to use.

A casting thermometer is essential. It's the only way to get an accuarate idea of just how hot your melt is.

Please bear in mind all the afore mentioned warnings and safety precautions.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!