In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.325 WSM range report

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
Picked up the Savage 16(Stainless package series) .325 WSM this weekend. Love the gun, scope is okay(about what I expected) and the rings suck! Bought a box of 200 gr. Accubonds to test first. Took me 3 rounds to zero it in where I wanted it. I then ran the boresnake threw and gave it a few minutes to cool(although it really wasn't neccessary because the bbl. wasn't as hot as I thought it would be) before I proceeded to fire a 3-shot group. First 2 shots were touching and the third shot was about 7" to the right and 5" lower. Thinking I maybe just pulled it I fired a fourth shot and it didn't even hit the paper! Looked the rifle and scope over and realized that the scope had slid all the way back in the rings(which I had checked before shooting). When I got home I put some tape inside the rings and cranked them down, so hopefully the problem is fixed for deer season at least. Will start saving my pennies for a better scope and rings immediately.

All and all, here is what I think of the caliber after the first range test. Appears that accuracy will not be a problem(with 200 grain pills anyway), short fat rounds feed very well, recoil is definitely noticable, even though I haven't tested it on game I think that this round is definitely a winner.

As far as the Savage rifle, I love it! Accutrigger is very smooth and crisp, bbl. seemed to be a little heavier contour then most(which I really like), and the rifle is nice and light yet very well built. All and all I already love it![:D][:p]

Jon

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    When you replace the rings, use the Burris Signature rings and your scope sliding problem will vanish like a puff of dust.... while your buying the Burris rings you might as well buy a Burris scope to go in em.......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:When you replace the rings, use the Burris Signature rings and your scope sliding problem will vanish like a puff of dust.... while your buying the Burris rings you might as well buy a Burris scope to go in em.......

I like the way you think.[:D]

Jon
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a GXP10 in 270WSM from savage, really like the gun. Like you said, heavier barrel than most for a sporter. Do like it though. I to thought the rings were terrible, possibly moving as well. Going out to get new ones before the next trip to the range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me know how it shoots after you put the new rings on. I just ordered a new scope(Burris Fullfield II) for mine and am picking up some new rings tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to get that all setup and get out to the range here in the next couple of weeks. Is the GXP10 Model the one with a wood stock and blued bbl.? Good luck with yours and straight shootin.[;)]

Jon
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, the 10GXP3 is the blue/wood stock. I'll let you know on the range next time after I get the new rings, I may switch the bases, but that's because I like the standard type better. Use to one kind, resistant to change. The gun is a left hand model, bought for oldest son. That left hand stuff makes everything more expensive!!