In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

mil brass

badlandsbutchbadlandsbutch Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
What is the exact difference between military 7.62X51 Ball and Match cases?

Comments

• Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Military brass is actually thicker than most match brass. That translates to less powder capacity.

Big difference between match and military brass is consistency. The tolerances on match grade anything is just tighter.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Then there is military match brass. LC match brass is some of the best I have ever worked with, it is a little thicker which translates to less capacity, but it lasts forever.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    Then there is military match brass. LC match brass is some of the best I have ever worked with, it is a little thicker which translates to less capacity, but it lasts forever.

I have some LC 67 30-06 match cases that have at least 20 shots each through them. The first 10 shots were through an M1 NM with no ill efects. I am still shooting it. The necks are starting to get a bit hard, they need annealed soon. I use them for my cast bullet loads now and have no plans to retire them.
  • Options
    badlandsbutchbadlandsbutch Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do Military Match cases compare to commercial and commercial match cases? Is it consistant capacity or case life? I've noticed that commercial match cases aren't marked but Mil. match have grooves at the bottom of the case to identify them as using hollow point bullets. Does M118 173 gr use unmarked match cases?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    badlandsbutch,

The written descriptions are correct regarding Mil-Spec cases and commercial. The term "consistancy" is important but only when discussing a particular lot number. Consistany between lot numbers would be terrific but not expected.

Some commercial brass is marked "match" such as Winchester Palma Match.

This photo demonstrates the thicker case design in the webbing. Although it is not a centerfire rifle case, the concept is applicable.

Best.

Ballistics_Websectioncase.jpg