In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2 questions-.45 Colt loads and new powder

rimfire72rimfire72 Member Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭
Looking for powder recommendations for .45 Colt. Anybody have any pet loads? Any tips on loading this cartridge? Gun is a Ruger blackhawk,200-250 or maybe up to 300gr cast bullets. Not looking for a hunting load,mainly target shooting and plinking.I have some 200gr RNFP I use in my ACP,would like to find a good Colt load for them.(These were designed for the Colt,but I found them to be accurate in my auto and they feed better than the SWC.)

Has anyone tried that new powder that looks like donuts(I can't remember the name),its made to take up more of the case? How is it for accuracy?

buycoolshirts_1825_31216154.jpg

Comments

• Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8 to 8.5 grains of unique with a 255 grain cast bullet and you're done. Works for target, game, people.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    IMR Trail boss is the powder you are talking about. Looks like mini cheerios cereal. Only problem with it is after American Rifleman ran that article, all the dealers are out of it.

rich

• Options
    GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooter93 just mentioned my favorite load. Very mild noise and recoil. I did once,however, shoot completely thru a deer I was tracking with that load in a .44 magnum. I use the same load in both .45 LC and .44 mag.

Keep Your Powder Dry
    NRA Life Member
    The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
    MARK TWAIN
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    One of my favorites is 6.2 gr of Titegroup with a 250 gr cast lead bullet. It has been out for a couple of years and is made for large capacity pistol cases.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shooter93 the load you posted is a fairly strong load, good hunting and people getter but if I were looking for a target / plinking load it wouldn't be that one, I myself enjoy a lighter load for targets and plinking. I find that Unique is a good powder for my .45 LC, albeit a little dirty but works well, Rimfire72 consult your manual.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Winchester 231 6 grains for cast 230 grain bullet,, good hunting load

5 Grains of Bullseye and 250 grain cast lead bullet.. good cowboy load..

6 Grains of 700X and a 200 grain SWC cast bullet.. good target load..

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif