In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military bullets

mowartmowart Member Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
I read once that the early .303 British bullets had asbestos cores so that they would keyhole easily. I know exploding and dum-dum bullets have been outlawed by international treaty. What other military `tricks' have you heard of?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mowart,

What I read about the early .303 bullets, 1897-1910(Boer War), was the nose was filled with aluminum. As the bullet flew it remained stable. But, when it hit the medium of a body, the weight rearward bullet became radically unstable and wanted to end-for-end itself. The transition took place over the course of approximately half the thickness of a human body.
    While this bullet met the criteria of the 1899 Hague convention by not expanding it was still used because it had great ballistic characteristics. Eventually, political pressure forced the British to quit using this bullet in the .303. Anyhow, that's the way I read it.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>