In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.270 projectile question

danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
I have just picked up a .270 at a price i could not pass up. I am thinking of loading the barnes triple x 130 grain in it for northern Wisconsin whitetails. Anyone tried the barnes triple x on large deer yet?

0311 semper fi

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't shot a deer with the triple x but it is an incredible bullet. Sometimes they are a little bit of a pain to get the crimp you would like on them, and in the past I had trouble getting them to stay seated one day and never figured out why, but if you can hit it, you can drop it with the triple x barnes. I only have expierence with them in .30 caliber rifles.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Danski
    I load the 140gr YSX on a 270 for my friend. He has taken 6 deer and an elk with them. The longest trail he has had was 60 yds on a maringal shot. What we have noticed using the TSX is in a lung shot, both lungs (if only one is hit) are jelly! There is nothing left. The bullet seems to open so violently upon entrance it blows up the far side. We have seen this on 3 deer in northern wisconsin(Superior area). My reccomendation is to use these on anything! Yes you could get by with less, but why worry about if the bullet will get the job done. I can send you the load I used for his A-Bolt to shoot .66" at 100 yds if you like. The key is getting the bullet near the lands.
  • surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should try Hornady's SST 130gr. I use them in my 15" encore and knock the socks right off them out too 200 yards.

GET~R~DONE!
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surekill
    You should try Hornady's SST 130gr. I use them in my 15" encore and knock the socks right off them out too 200 yards.

GET~R~DONE!

Any of Hornady's SST's or A-max will
    quote:GET~R~DONE![:D]

If your running a long tube- 26-28-30"
    your game will be messy
    [:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • danski26danski26 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the sst's and interbonds in my 30-06 and 7-30 waters. They work well for me but i wanted to try something different. I'll have to see how the triple shock group and give them a whirl. thanks for the input guys.

0311 semper fi