In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 JAP

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
I have a buddy that has a rifle from the 2nd world war. Was given to him by his uncle. It's a Japanese bolt-action rifle chambered in 6.5 JAP. He has one round left and is looking for more. The only ammo I can find is from Cabelas (39.99 for 20), made by Norma which is the same as what he has. My question is can you buy 6.5 JAP brass to be able to reload? And will any 6.5mm bullet in the same grain work?

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslovers,

That's why it literally pays to shop around. Midway will steal you blind if you let them.

From Graf & Sons:

GRAF BRASS 6.5x50 JAP UNPRIMED PER 100

Item Number: GRU65X50 ? Availability: Out of stock
    Quantity:
    100 - $28.99
    500 - $137.70
    1000 - $260.91

Unfortunately, they show as out-of-stock, but give them a call and double check for sure. Sometimes it's a computer glitch. They take back orders also if it is feasible.

I wouldn't say "any" bullets in the 6.5 category because sure as shootin', someone will come up with an exception. But most 6.5mm or .264" bullets should work just fine.

"Norma 6.5 x 50mm ammunition and unprimed cases are still available. Any of the .264" bullets will work in this cartridge, but due to its relatively small powder capacity, those weighing 120, 125, and 129 grains are best for deer. The small powder capacity also calls for powders of medium burning rate with H380, H335, and H4895 doing a good job."

Source: Hodgdon Data Manual, 26th Edition
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense

From Graf & Sons:

GRAF BRASS 6.5x50 JAP UNPRIMED PER 100

Item Number: GRU65X50 ? Availability: Out of stock
    Quantity:
    100 - $28.99
    500 - $137.70
    1000 - $260.91

Unfortunately, they show as out-of-stock, but give them a call and double check for sure. Sometimes it's a computer glitch. They take back orders also if it is feasible.

I wouldn't say "any" bullets in the 6.5 category because sure as shootin', someone will come up with an exception. But most 6.5mm or .264" bullets should work just fine.

"Norma 6.5 x 50mm ammunition and unprimed cases are still available. Any of the .264" bullets will work in this cartridge, but due to its relatively small powder capacity, those weighing 120, 125, and 129 grains are best for deer. The small powder capacity also calls for powders of medium burning rate with H380, H335, and H4895 doing a good job."

Source: Hodgdon Data Manual, 26th Edition

Thanks alot for the info, he'll be very pleased that he can shoot this thing again.

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have successfully reformed .243 Win, but it's a hard job. Same with .308.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For 50 yrs or so the only source of this ammo or brass has been Norma. They are not bashful about price! My experience has not shown great quality of their brass either. Rarely can I get more than 3 or 4 reloads before the case fails. (I do not overload!) I recently purchased some Graf brass and although it looks nice, I have not tried it out. In any event it is a whole lot cheaper. Have fun!
    Morty