In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recommendations on components for 243 reloading

torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
Thanks for the input on the .243 press setup, gentlemen, I'd love the RCBS but can only afford the Lee kit, single parenthood means really tight budget. Any way, are there any recommendations you could make on bullets for woodchucking and deer, new brass. I see vast differences in the cost of Remington vs Winchester brass, also heard the ballstic tip or VMax were good for varmint shooting. I suppose the load book that comes with the kit will specify different powders and different bullet weights. Is Midway the best place to get bullets and cases? Thanks for any input, Happy Labor Day.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Yo torq- I don't think that Midway is the "best" to by from because of costs and shipping, but my being on the west coast-I've had an account with them for years and they are MY favorite. They sell Winchester(243) unprimed cases for $9.49 /50 pt no (485259) The bullets I use are all Sierra and Hornady, but I don't hunt anymore so you'll get other advice for those that do.My handloading with AA2230c powder and Sierra 70gr BTHP has gotten me 3/8in 5-shot groups at 100yds with my Weatherby-I can just imagine those bullets would be good for varmints(unless you wanted pelts). Oh I still use my Lee setup (single stage) for all my shooting (pistol/rifle)-GOOD LUCK---JIMBO

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Remember that bullets that are good for groundhog's are not all that good for deer. The varmint bullets are to violent for use on deer, sure they may kill one but you will ruin a lot of meat in the process, and you may have a long tracking job ahead. TNT's, SX's, V-maxes, and light weight Ballistic tips all fall in that catagory.
    You would need a bullet to at least penetrate to the off side of a deer, and I prefer that it moves right on through.
    A 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip in a .243 will do a great job on any deer walking, as will any of the heavy Sierra's designed for deer, or Hornady's ,ect... It's always the bullet that does the job, so pick the right one....

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I second the 95 gr Nosler BT's...and they will work for varmints as well as deer. I like Lapua brass, but it is pricy. I would recommend Remington brass over Winchester. It will last you longer (more reloads before you need to trash them). The shipping from Midway is not bad at all...you can get a quote on shipping from numerous methods before you make the final purchase. I would recommend going usps. Good luck on your new hobby![:)]

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lapua is THE brass but not necessary for hunting guns. I like winchester brass from the last few years experience, but that is opinion.

I love the balistic tip in any caliber,..so that will affect my recomendations. The 95gr pill will level a whitetail with little effort out to a good 400yds.

as far as components,..the lee collet dies have been the absolute best lower priced dies I have ever seen. these dies load match grade ammo with a fraction of the freight.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    torq,

I have to give a few thoughts on this one having nine to the credit of my .243 of past years. I killed all of them using 75 and 87 gr. Sierra bullets. However, the thing I didn't like about them was they fragmented and I usually had three exit holes in the backside. That didn't ruin any meat but left in question the bullet performance. I really like shooting the 'new'(to me anyhow) Nosler Ballistic tips for accuracy. A few of my friends though, have used the BT's on deer and say they are terrible destroyers of meat. They have all stated they are going back to the Partition not only for it's performance but also for keeping meat destruction to a minimum. My preference when hunting is a broadside chest shot that isn't going to ruin meat, so accuracy is really key. The newest from Nosler is the Accubond. Supposedly, this bullet shoots as well as the Bt's and has the game performance of the Partition. I have yet to verify either in any caliber, although I have some ready to reload.
    Bottom line:
    Woodchuck and varmint: 55-75 gr. Nosler BT's and Sierra Varminter and I highly recommend the Hornady V-max
    Deer:
    Nosler Partition, followed by Sierra GK, Followed by Speer. Bt's and Accubonds are optional too. Hornady makes a good hunting bullet also with really good accuracy.
    Again too, what I've found is this cartridge really likes 4350 and 4831 powders for accuracy. -Good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    r_himmelreichr_himmelreich Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my $.02 worth, I have experience with both the 6mm and 243. I use 100gr Hornady Interlocks or Sierra Gamekings. They are inexpensive compared to the Nosler Partition and other "premium" bullets but still work very reliably on deer. I used Ballistic Tips a few years ago but didn't like the results (penetration) on 2 deer. Certainly not enough to draw a definite conclusion but was enough reason for me not to switch. Also, my varmit hunting is only for practice hunting/shooting on deer. Therefore, I use the above load for woodchucks/coyotes to get me prepared for deer. If I can get a groundhog at 200yds from the prone position then a deer is a piece of cake. Every 'chuck I've ever shot is dead on the spot. I use IMR 4350 powder and Remington cases. It's what my dad always used when I was growing up and have never found a reason to change.

Have fun!
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do about the same as "himmel". But I use WW brass that I either buy locally or order from Cabela's, CCI large rifle primers, IMR-4350 powder and for years loaded 100 grain Sierra's they were outstandingly accurate and out of 3 deer and an antelope my ex shot with that gun we only recovered one bullet that was nearly a perfect mushroom after travelling from chest to tail, all one shot kills and all the other bullets did the job and exited. Sierra's are inexpensive bullets and I've always thought better quality than you pay for. Recently I've been loading 85 grain Barnes X and Triple shock bullets which my son will try out this fall, same load. We've been toying with a lighter bullet so we bought some 65 grainers and I'll be loading those for coyotes this fall.
    Good luck and have fun, you will really enjoy reloading.