In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 S&W loads

CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
I went and done it this time. Bought my girlfriend a MRI Baby Eagle Compact in 40 S&W.

What should I feed this for range use? I bought some lead slugs but have been told that this could be a major problem. I have loaded thousands of rounds, but mostly .38, .357, and .45. Pretty simple stuff.

Any help would be appreciated.

NRA Life Member

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 165 gr rainier plated on federal cases CCI primers and 5 gr of bullseye. These have shot well in an XD, and in glocks.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load a lot of 180 gr lead bullets with 5.2 gr 231. It has been accurate in a lot of my 40 S&W pistols. It should work in the Eagle if it has conventional rifling. I use AA5 powder for most of my jacketed loads. I find that some of the loading manuals list such low powered lead loads that a lot of the pistols won't function properly.
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, lead slugs are generally only a problem in polygonal rifling. With LOTS of use, you can get barrel leading, but that's cleanable. Jacketing changes the problem from lead to copper, which cleans up better.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 165 grain jacketed bullets, 6.5 grains of power pistol, cci primers, for IDPA shooting. It is a really nice load. I shoot a browing hi-power and my friend uses the same load in his glock 34 or 35? (one is a 9mm model the other is a .40 model, he has the .40 I just can't recall which model is which since I don't own glocks)

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling