In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.44 mag

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just bought a 29 and took it to the range. I LOVE THIS THING!!! I have never had a .44 before and am now devoted to it almost as much as my .357.

Anyone have any pet loads? I am looking for something less punishing for range use. While I am a big guy, full house loads get to me after a box or so. Since I need to get used to the weapon I am looking for something lighter. Someone has mentioned loading to .44 special specs? Any ideas? I have everything I need except for bullets and data.

Comments

• Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a .44 mag Super Black Hawk with 7 1/2" barrel what I'm looking for is a load a bit hotter than a 44 special but not a wrist breaker like the mag . I want it for deer hunting. I used to have a good load for this purpose but my sisters threw away all my dads reloading data when he died and no way do I trust my memory
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use 8.5 gr of Unique with a 255 Keith style swc lead bullet in a 44 mag case. This is about 900 fps. I don't think any of the jacketed hp or sp bullets will expand very well at these speeds.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I've had pretty decent results with 7.5 grains of Universal with a Lazercast 240-grain bullet.

One group printed five shots inside 3' at 75 yards with an operator-induced flyer. Off a bench, of course.

My notes say that works out to a muzzle velocity of about 975 out of my 7-1/2 inch SBH. Check your math on this, though. My math skills are notoriously weak and I don't own an chrony.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I've ever loaded is a .44 SPL with a 225 gr SWC HP and 6.5 gr of Universal. Works well, no fouling to speak of. If you want more power, though expect more pain. Get a more comfortable set of grips, and hold on tight.

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I am using a 310 grain cast flat point on 13.0 grains of 2400. Lots of power, but not really snappy like the lighter bullets.

• Options
    GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My load is similar to Peary's. I use 9.0 gr Unique with cast Keith Type 240 gr bullet. Pleasant load to shoot. It will completely penetrate a deer's ribcage. However, my main hunting load is 18.0 gr of 2400 with a 240 gr HP.

Keep Your Powder Dry
    NRA Life Member
    The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
    MARK TWAIN