In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25/284

Is anyone doing any work with one of these necked down .284 Winchesters
in a bolt gun ?

I'm interested in other opinions as to what works well for you.

Currently using 100 grain BT's and H-4831SC, and F210M's...

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mrbruce,

It's on my list of things I want to do just not at the top. I have to suffice working with .257 RBT and .25WSSM. right now.
    I'm interested in knowing if anyone is looking at getting a 1-8 or 1-9 twist to stabilize heavier bullets than what is currently out there for .25 cal. Or if I could find someone who made a barrel with that tight of a twist. I shot some custom .25's at 125 gr. but I think with a faster twist this will stabilize up to 135's. With a 1-8 twist it might even stabilize a VLD type bullet.
    I say this as I'm hearing more and more that people are graduating into the 6mm's for 1000 yd. shooting. typically 1-8 or sometimes 1-7 twist shooting 115 gr. bullets.
    Anyhow, my wish list is a .25-284 or 25-300wsm with a 1-8 so I can see what the heaviest bullets in .25 cal can do. It'll take time and economics to change before I see that happening though.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Sand Warrior,
    I have thought of the same thing using a fast twist in a .25, but there just don't seem to be very many good bullets available (YET) Berger is trying anyway.
    As soon as they show up you can be sure I'll order up a 1 in 8 barrel for one, and they will set down into a opened up 6.5/284 Lapua case.
    As far as 6mm's at a distance, you have to see it to believe it.
    I have not reached out to 1000 yet with my 8 twist 6BR with 107 SMK's but the distance's it will shoot very tight groups into is mindboggling, at least to me anyway....

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mrbruce,

For the 6mm's going 1000 yds. It's kind of catching on but I think people are looking back to 6.5's and experimenting with 25/284's. I read an article a little while back about David Tubb who was on his home range shooting a .243 at 1000yds. and shooting great groups. His point in the article was that the 6.5-284 was going through barrels too fast. He, as usual, showed prolific results. but the article didn't give anything on how well the .243 bucked wind. He was using Sierra's new 115 gr. in a 1-8 twist. Also, my friend down in GA had gone to and used 6mm-284 for a while but wasn't overly satisfied with it. His next move was going to be up to the straight .284 Win. With the upper end bullets in 7mm he felt he could get the ballistics to work for him rather than high pressure/velocity. So, I know the 6mm works. Just how well is yet to be seen in constant match results when conditions factor in and how well it bucks wind etc. Like you I'm thinking a VLD @135 gr in .25 may be a great choice, but barrels and bullets to match are a little short right now.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>