In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cast bullets

brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
I know this will be an opinion question, but here goes. What is the best hard stick bullet lube on the market right now? I'm looking to upgrade my cast bullet operation. I want to get a Lyman 4500 Sizer/Lubricator with a heater. I've been using a Lyman 450 (old orange) for many years now. I want to be able to ship cast bullets without all the mess.

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    does anyone cast their own? i'm now doing 7mm, 30cal, 357, 458, and 2 styles of 45 acp. do you mix linotype with your lead? i've been using wheel weights and spent bullets from an indoor range collector. i just got a real good deal on 1oo# of lino, wondered if anyone had set set mix?

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
  • Options
    GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use wheel weights. I have a large melting pot made from an old propane cylinder. Melt large quantity with a weed burner for heat source. Flux with beeswax or paraffin. Use magnet on a wire to remove the steel clips when they float to surface. Ladle into ingot moulds(I use cornstick pans). This method gives a large quantity of a uniform mixture. Wheel weight metal makes great bullets and leading is not a problem with proper lubrication. I lube with an Alox based lube. I fired thousands of these shooting PPC from .38.357 and ,45 ACP. Same mixture for my .44 Mag loads.
    Best to do it outdoors or with very good ventilation. Also be sure to keep water away from melted lead or moulds. My son gave me some damp metal and it caused a steam explosion in the molten metal. REAL exciting !!!!!

Keep Your Powder Dry
    NRA Life Member
    The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
    MARK TWAIN
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    I just love the smell of melting wheel weights. No, not really, but they sure don't stink as bad after you get them into ingots and use them that way. While some of the newer weights aren't completely lead, I still haven't had any problem using them. I cast bullets while I was in high school to earn extra money. Now just to save money.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    WHEEL WEIGHTS WORK FINE FOR MOST CAST BULLETS, FOR MAG. PISTOL AND HIGH POWER RIFLE I USE STRAIGHT LINOTYPE LEAD.