In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-250 Powder

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
I want a powder that will fill up as much space in my 22-250 cartridge as possible. everything i have used doesn't seem to fill it up so far. am using 55 gr v-max bullets right now.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of these will fill the case 96% or better with an OAL of 2.350" with the 55 gr. VMAX flatbase. H-380 fills the case.

Win. 760

V V N-540

IMR-4320

H-380

Re15
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    did not try the 760 or the 380. tried 414 and 4320. will do this in the morning. thanks.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I've always gotten good results with H-380.

I use the 22-250 primarily for prairie dogs out to 400 yards.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H-380

Bruce Hodgdon named this powder for the 38 gr. load that worked so well behind a 52 gr. bullet in the 22-250 case.

It's a little tougher to get it to burn so trying different primers will be important. H-380 is a classic powder for the 22-250 cartridge.

The V V powders don't necessarily give the highest velocity but they are consistant shot to shot and clean burning. You could also use Varget but it isn't one of my favorites.

Win. 760 can nearly fill the case but it will take a very aggressive primer. It is the slowest of the powders to try and because it is a Ball powder, it requires a primer of higher brisance.

Best.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    I like H-4895. Good velocity, the case is almost full, clean burning, and reasonable recoil.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The info that Nononsense gave is excellent.
    That load worked great then and it still works fantastic to this day. Years ago when I was just starting out reloading I put volumes of effort into "developing" an accurate load for my 22/250, when I narrowed it down to 38 grains of H-380 and a 50 grain bullet ( 52 gr. worked just as well) I thought that through superior intellect and process of elimination I had really came across something outstanding. Only to find out that not only did 2 of the neighbors use that load, but it was also a commonplace load for thousands of people who were experienced loaders for the 22/250.
    I was just a country kid and didn't have access to the information, I kinda took the long way to get to something that everyone else was using but I also proved to myself through my own research that this load really works!
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    H-380

Bruce Hodgdon named this powder for the 38 gr. load that worked so well behind a 52 gr. bullet in the 22-250 case.

It's a little tougher to get it to burn so trying different primers will be important. H-380 is a classic powder for the 22-250 cartridge.

The V V powders don't necessarily give the highest velocity but they are consistant shot to shot and clean burning. You could also use Varget but it isn't one of my favorites.

Win. 760 can nearly fill the case but it will take a very aggressive primer. It is the slowest of the powders to try and because it is a Ball powder, it requires a primer of higher brisance.

Best.

Yep!!!!!
    My pet load
    35.5 gr. h380
    Rem 9 1/2 M primer
    SPSX bullet.

Note this load was worked up in my 40x. Caution needs to be used on very hot days!!!!!!! (if you use this load)

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good results with 38.3 of IMR4350, with your bullet. It seems do be the one for my barrel.

Now I need to try H380, since I have not tested it yet.
  • Options
    ccddbb95448ccddbb95448 Member Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    32.5 grain of IMR 3031 52 grain bullet
    I shoot this load all the time. [;)]
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't forget to try WW748,it works great for me and my Encore
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    38.5gr H380 with a 52gr SMK at .020" off the lands in a rem700 VLS has been .3moa consistent.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?