In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.358 winchester loads

cn1732cn1732 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
Recently rebarreled a 308 model 88 winchester to 358 winchester. Used stainless douglas match barrel (length 18 inches). Using factory winchester loads ( 200 gr.)chrono averages 2320 fps. Have read that the new 225 gr. bullets are the cats paw for this combination. Was wondering if anyone had done any work with these bullets and what loads work best etc. Rifle primarily to be used on bear at close range in thick cover with open sights, but wouldn't rule out scoped use for elk at some point. Any help or info appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built a rifle on a Krag Action and we developed a 35 krag Cartridge. The case has a slightly larger capacity than the 308. I use 225 gr. bullets exclusively. I tried all kinds of powders and settled on IMR 3031. 43 grains with the 225 grain bullet goes 2250 fps. out of a 20 inch pipe and shoots 5 into a half to three quarters of an inch at 100yds. With good bullets I'd hunt anything on the continent with it. The rifle can be sighted 3 inches high at 100 yds. and still be in an 8 inch circle at 275. yds. which is a very long game shot.