In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7.62x39mm reloads

Has or does anyone reload the the 7.62x39mm shells ?

Psalm 109:8

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless you're wanting to reload for match/target shooting or hunting, it's almost, if not cheaper, to buy the new stuff.

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    Yes I reload 7.62 x 39. It really is not for economy. I bought my first SKS about 15 years ago when ther was not as much cheap ammo available. I shoot more surplus than handloads.
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replys.I enjoy reloading.

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I do. I load cast bullets for my Yugo, and shoot them with the gas off. I find them even more accurate than regular ammo.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    jonk
    Why would or does turning the gas off make the sks more accurate? I never thought to try it.

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well, why are bolt action rifles generally more accurate than semi autos? Because all the energy goes to driving the bullet instead of operating the action. It also creates less jumping around of parts to make the shooter flinch. And there is less tendency to shoot fast, but rather to take one's time.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago I bought a set of dies,100 Lapua brass and a couple of boxes of 123 grain Remington soft point bullets to hunt deer with a SKS.I carefully loaded about 20 rounds and took them to the range and they would not shoot worth a poo.The 2 dollar a box surplus shot better than my expensive,carefully crafted rounds.That was my last experience with loading 7.62x39s.
  • knightriderknightrider Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NEWS FLASH

7.62X39 IS GOING TO GET EXPESIVE.
    I was at a gun show last weekend and found that NO ONE had any of this calaber ammo left. From the grape vine there is over a billion rounds on a barge in New York that will not be released to the general public until MAY!!!! Stock up now while you can, because not only will there be a six month waiting period but the Russans have gotten smart. The price of the ammo is going up. If anyone can confirm or deny this informaiton please say so now or forever learn to reload this ammo.

Knightrider
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I load it and will continue to. If you know what you are doing and get the right loads they will outshoot any of the MILSURP stuff out there.

The reason to shut off the gas system when shooting cast bullets is to avoid getting molten lead from blowby or friction from entering the gas tube and possibly clogging it up. It is a precaution that has dubious beneift. The short stroke type action on the SKS uses very little gas and the port is quite large. It would take a LOT to plug the system up to the point where it stopped firing. Gas checked bullets sized to around .312 should work slicker than snot on a door knob.
  • steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load for a 7.62x39 Ruger Mini-30. Factory loads have always shot poorly. With my handloads my Ruger will shoot very very well and I have the option of shooting (testing) .308, .310 or .311 bullets. If a bullet is cheap and you cannot hit what you aim at, what is the point. I just worked up a nice 150gr Sierra Pro Hunter load that is going to be my deer load this year. I have never seen anything in 7.62x39 other than the 125-123gr loads in my local stores.
    Here is one of my targets using handload at 100 yards. Factory load can't even come close to this kind of accuracy.

File0044.jpg