In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.257 Roberts, A.I.

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
I just put one of these together and am looking for 'pet' loads, 75 and 87 gn. bullets. anybody else shoot one?

Comments

• Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wish I could help ya Mike but I just shoot the ol' standard 257 Roberts and I'm just starting to dabble in the lighter bullets that you mentioned, I'll watch this post close though because I'd like to hear some of the first hand stuff on the 257 A.I.
    What exactly did you build and what are setting it up to do?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got a nice m-98 sporter in the std. .257. I picked up a m-98 barreled receiver here some time (sold as unkown cal.) back and it turned out to be a .257 A.I. I've got a bunch of 75 & 87 gn. bullets and as the barrel is a hvy sporter weight I figured it would make a nice varmit gun.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I have a XP-100 chambered in the 257AI with a 1 in 10 twist that has always liked the 100gr Ballistic Tip's better than the lighter ones, but it never really liked the 115's either.
    You can hardly go wrong using H-4350 with any of the bullet weights.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally speaking, when loading for Ackely cartridges the top loads for the parent cartridge are the starting loads for the Improved version. That being said...use the old loads for a start...not the new plus P's.
  • Options
    Hunter375Hunter375 Member Posts: 612 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMR 4831 until the case overflows, then cram the bullet in[:D]
    J/K.

But I am quite fond of 4831 in my .25-06 with all bullet weights. The .257 AI is close to the .25-06 for capacity, so I would imagine powders that work well in the .25-06 will work nicely in the AI.

Save the seals-club a liberal instead.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

I have quite a few pet loads for the .257 Rbts. Along the lines of what shooter93 said, for loads right out of the book use standard brass. Use the max of the .257 for starting loads and work up. The old standby recipe for std Rbts in my family (everyone has one)is 41 grs. of IMR4895 behind an 85-87 gr. bullet. That's what Nosler has as starting loads for the 85 gr in AI. Sierra starts at 40.1 (IMR4895)for their 87 gr. The top out loads for these two powders are 47.3 gr. of 4895 and 48.0 gr. of 4064. An old Hornady manual I have shows 43.4 anf 42.2 as max but those numbers are pretty low. Conversely they show more powder in the std. than the AI.

Nosler doesn't have published information for a 75 gr. but Sierra starts at just over 41 gr. of IMR4895 Starting load of I4064 is 40.9(typo?) The top out loads are 47.7 of I4895 and 48.4 of I44064.

On a new note I have been having to go where published information is not. My newest pet load is 42 gr. of VV N140 behind a 100 gr. bullet. I get 3100 fps for that using +P brass in a 20" barrel. That is noteworthy as a short barrel in a .257 really takes away from the versatility of the cartridge...same with the A.I. case, 24" barrel is best.
    I use +P brass for all my .257 loads.* I have really liked the Vihtavuori powders so far. Data is limited, and even though the burn rate of N140 compares to 4320 and N150 to 4350 they are not the same! VV produces much more pressure. This is verified where you do have loads published in various calibers and you will see that N150 max's out much lower than 4350 in a given case.

*If you are going to convert +P brass watch for pressure signs sooner. The loads above are for standard brass but I get more velocity out of 40.5 grs. of 4895 in +P than I get from 41 gr. in standard.

Anyhoo, before I ramble on and on about my favorite caliber I just thought I would pass on some of the loads I use. And as always work up to them. -Good luck.

ADDED: 8-13-05

Snellstrom,

Since it's related to the original question I think it's pertinent and not really a hijack. The 42 grs. of VV N140 is right at max. in +P brass for the .257 RBTS. The 20" barrel is the kicker, we always got much better performance in 24" barrels as the case lends itself better to medium/slower (not slowest) powders. That's a known given....a good place to work up from in the AI since there is little information. The Vihtavuori manual covers neither the .257 Rbts or Improved versions of that caliber. My latest Nosler only covers a couple powders in either chambering and those limit their data to older rifles. Sierra has limited their data to 3-4000 CUP UNDER the old SAAMI spec of 45000 CUP in the few offerings they give. This is a great powder to reload .257's with if you stick to the strength of your rifle and work up.
    What I found with VV is that in order to find starting loads to work up to, find an extruded powder with comparable burn rate....then take off a couple more grains. VV produces more pressue than American powders.
    I found this out the hard way when I pushed a 120 gr. out at 3180 from my 25 WSSM using reduced data from 4350. I had no published information to go on other than relative capacities of closely related or compared cartriges. Needless to say the case was hard to remove from the chamber. The next load was much lighter. I ended up working that up to 40.8 grs. of VV N150 for a much more sane 3005 avg. velocity. -hope that clarifies it a little better.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior that is some great info thanks for sharing, I too love the .257 Roberts and enjoy loading for it as does my brother. The load you mentioned with 42 gr of vvN140 and a 100 grain bullet, where is that on the relative scale Mild, Med., or Hot?
    Would like to hear more on the vv powder and by the way I'm sorry about hijacking the thread but I just gotta know.[;)]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    N140 is actually right between RL15 and varget (slowest to fastest).

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info, i'll give it a try. the only power i've worked with so far is scott 4065. (almost the same as imr4064) 48.5 gns. behind the 75 gn bullet seamed to work ok, 51 gns. was to hot).
  • Options
    snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have at least 20 loads for the 257 Ackley and depending on the rifle several work very well. One that I have used for years is 46 Gr. of IMR 4895 with a Sierra 75 Gr. varmitter.

MONEY TALKS mine says good-bye
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well I tried several loads and the best so far is 47.0 gns of scott 4065 and the 75 gan hornady bullet (.5" groups @ 3400 fps, s.d. of 16). I tried 4895 but got vert. stringing and s.d.'s of >75. I've found h.d. case lube is a must after several cases stuck in the sizing die. next up is h4350 and 100 gn. noslers.
  • Options
    D.S.COLED.S.COLE Member Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive had best luck with IMR 4064 for light bullets in the 257 ackley. With the heavier 120 gr my favorite is 41 grs IMR 4895 , I got this from Col. Askins years ago and its hot but never gave any problems in any rifle I tried. Its very accurate and beats 25/06 factory ballistics.

<BR>
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have a 257 Ackley on an FN action that I use for deer in places that require a lot of walking. I prefer loads with 115-125gr bullets and use H4350 or 4831 for these. I've only developed a few loads for it with lighter bullets of 75-100 grs, but IMR 4064 seemed to work about the best. Compared to Roberts loading, I'd sugest taking the starting load for the Roberts and adding 5% to get the starting load for the Ackley.