In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

325 WSM Load Data

Anyone out here have any idea about starting load data for the new 325WSM with 200 gr Accubonds ???

About out of factory ammo, and need to start a load work up, I have my own ideas but I need some backup................

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mrbruce,

Winchesters site will have some loads pretty soon. In Win 760 I would imagine. I will caution though it's pretty hard to interpolate a ball powder charge to an extruded powder charge and be somewhat accurate. Especially if the extruded powder is VV. It gives more pressure than it's burn rate implies. I had quite a bit of second guessing going on while looking to reload the 25 WSSM. Now that I've established several bases from where to work and that VV runs more pressure than similar burn rated extruded powders it's a little easier to try new loads out of the blue and know where you are going.

I would suggest working up several loads with several Hodgdon and IMR powders, and establish good baselines for starting and max loads. If you want to use VV go to the minimum load for a similar powder then take a couple more grains off and that should be low to midpoint. I would certainly also suggest staying with the VV 165, 170, 175 if you want to use Vihtavuori powders. -good luck and stay safe.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bruce,

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

The folks at Nosler have been very helpful in the past when asked for information such as this, you might give them a call and see what they have to say.

Nosler also has a Forum for questions regarding reloading. I'm not slighting GB at all, it's just that reliable, applicable data is still a bit slim.

Take a look at http://www.shortmags.org/shortmags/
    The forum is a little thin but there might be some more current reloading information...

The testing that I've done requires a chronograph to determine loads and I back the data up with piezo-electric gathered pressure data. With the thickness of this brass, traditional signs of pressure are going to be a little difficult to interpret. The easiest way to start is with Winchester's velocity data of 2950 FPS for the 200 AB which I'm fairly sure is achieved with W760. Then take a look at Hodgdon's data for H-414 and even slightly better I think is the IMR-4350.

The powder that shows the most promise is Ramshot Hunter which is in the similar burning rate territory as the above powders. Another to look at is AA-2700.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the data support, I surely appreciate it.

The Sierra hotline couldn't help, and emails to Hodgdon
    have been unanswered, and I didn't think to call Nosler.

I can start to work this load up now, thanks again...

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.