In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.30-06 loads

PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
I recently started reloading for my .30-06. I'm loading 150 gr. Hornandy SST with Varget powder. How important is muzzle velocity, my factory loads shoot around 3100fps my reloads shoot around 2700fps, I don't think a whitetail would know the differance. My shots are normally under 250 yards.

"IF THE AMERICAN FIREARMS INDUSTRY IS SUED INTO BANKRUPTCY, WHO WILL SUPPLY OUR SOLDIERS."- NRA VICTORY FUND

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just find the load that holds the most CONSISTENTLY tight groups. Your velocity will be well within the range you will need for any shots in that range.

As to factory MV's,..what ammo is it? is it high energy or light magnum?

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    JustC
    Has it right. Figured out what load your rifle likes the best.

Psalm 109:8
  • Options
    GaBobGaBob Member Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accuracy is the important thing. As you said the deer won't know how fast it was going , Go for the most consistat accuracy and you will be on the right track

Keep Your Powder Dry
    NRA Life Member
    The only criminal class that is native to the United States is congress.
    MARK TWAIN
  • Options
    lawdog44lawdog44 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you get a chance try IMR-4064 in your 30-06 i load 51 gr with a 150gr
    bullet and get good results
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way more important than velocity is consistent pin point accuracy. Trust me if you can hit it right where you are trying to hit it it won't make any difference to the animal, dead is dead. The velocity spread you are talking about is like the difference between shooting an '06 compared to a 308. No big deal.[;)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As everyone here says accuracy is the ultimate goal as long as it is within reasonable bounds for accuracy. I have found using 52 grs. of VV N150 behind a 165 gr. bullet in my 22" barrelled 30-06 gives excellent results in both. 2850 fps and groups of around .5". I have used 4350 and 4831 as well and gotten good hunting accuracy. I define hunting accuracy as 3 shots within 2" @100 yds or better. At 300 yds the biggest group you should be shooting is 6". That is plenty of accuracy for normal hunting.
    Also, you have plenty of killing power with this load out to 400 yds., still over 1000 fpe.
    What you will find with a load that is accurate but say 100-300 fps slower is that you will need to hold for drop @ 300 yds. Instead of being able to hold dead on. Zero point of aim, it's called. If your hunting does not normally require long shots you have lost nothing except a slightly more severe kick from your rifle. -good luck
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'll differ somewhat from the above, in thta I don't see pin-point accuracy as needed for big game- it's putting a bullet of proper construction for the velocity/impact into a "vital" spot. I suspect that 2700 fps is well within the construction parameters of the Hornady bullet, so likely would kill better than if speeded up to 3K.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beg..borrow or steal a chronograph.......You will learn a lot about your loads...(and yourself)...

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
    - Ronald Reagan
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member