In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Rifle

RoutermanRouterman Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
I just purchased a new Remington 700 BDL DM 30-06, someone mentioned I need to season the barrel. How?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Search for "barrel break in", on the "Expert's" forum, topic has been covered many times. If nothing else it's good arm exersize. You need a 1 pc cleaning rod (stainless or coated), a bore guide for your rifle, spear point jag, patches, solvent(s), bronze bore brushes and lot's of time. Depending on the barrel (how rough it is), and your cleaning methiod/solvent(s), the copper fouling may take 2 to 6 hours to remove after the first shot (with a good barrel this is more like 10-30 minutes), so having lot's of time is also of benifit.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Barrel break in, or seasoning, is nothing more than wear-polishing. Some barrels are rougher when new, so benefit more from it. The barrels that I have purchased over the last 20 years have been custom made and come smooth as glass, so there is very little to be gained by shooting for the purpose of smoothing outr rough spots- cause there aren't any.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The majority of the copper particulate will result from the horizontle tooling marks on the throat/leade in the chamber from the reamer. The jacket material will be stripped away heavily until enough firing and cleaning has helped to smooth that area. The bore also benefits from the firing/cleaning, but should polish up quicker than the throat area. Once the copper on the patches drops off dramaticaly, you can go to normal shooting and cleaning regimens.

I use sweets 7.62 for barrel break in because it dissolves copper in minutes and allows a lot of break-in to be done in less time.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?