In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6 mm Remington Loads

GunmedicGunmedic Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Anybody have some pet 6 mm loads that they wouldn't mind sharing? I want to use 100 Gr Hornady bullets.
Thanks for any help.

"Happiness is warm brass on a cold day"

Comments

• Options
    jimdandijimdandi Member Posts: 122 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using 40 grains of 4350 with a hornady 100 grain sp It groups very well out of my pre 64 model 70 heavy barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Jimdandi, I'll give it a try, I am shooting a Mohawk 600, Take care de Gunmedic.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M?decin de Fusil, (just kidding...)

Welcome to the GB forums!

When working up loads for the 600 Mohawk, one of factors to take into consideration is the short barrel. There is no sense in working on loads that waste powder or create significant muzzle blast when there is a way to reduce the waste and muzzle blast simply through careful powder selection. Muzzle blast is a result of the hot gases (plasma) created by the powder burning in the barrel, not the unburned powder outside of the barrel. Ball powders are known for increased muzzle blast.

Accurate Arms has a powder, XMR-4350, that has the necessary properties to burn completely in the short barrel and to reduce muzzle blast when using any of the 3 Hornady 100 gr. bullets.

Remember that you need to begin with the start loads and work up carefully watching for signs of pressure. No two rifles are alike.

AA XMR-4350

Start load = 41.0 gr.
    Maximum load = 44.5 gr.

Vihta Vuori has a similar powder, V V N-150, which will accomplish the same goals. It is a slightly faster powder so it doesn't fill the case as completely as I like but it is a good powder for this application. It's also very clean burning.

V V N-150

Start load = 38.5 gr.
    Maximum load = 41.5 gr.

Hopefully, that will get you started. It's a great rifle but the cartridge can be a little much for the barrel length. These loads should help make it a better combination.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks nononsense, have them copied and will try. Take care de Gunmedic.