In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloading .358 Winchester

cn1732cn1732 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
using nosler partition bullets in a model 88 winchester lever action (225 grain) is it necessary to crimp the bullet(will bullets that aren't crimped move under recoil in magazine.)

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes almost all bullets using a semi auto or pump action, and tubular magazines should be crimped to avoid the bullet being pushed further into the case

reloaderror.jpg
  • gclmemgclmem Member Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the model 88 has a box magazine.

I never look busy 'cause I do it right the first time.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I believe the model 88 has a box magazine.

Yes it does, but under recoil the bullets may be seated further into the case

reloaderror.jpg
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one more thing not mentioned , bullets may also "walk" out of a case causing the bullet not to feed.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been loading the 358 Winchester cartridge for many years for Savage 99, Ruger 77RS and a custom Remington 700 using a variety of bullets from 180 to 250 grains. I have never crimped any of them and have had no "walking" of bullets. Many of the bullets I use have no cannelure so crimping is not an option.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    A family that I hunt with on occasion shoots .358 almost exclusively: for close the 358Win, for far 358Norma. While the Normas are a mix of rifles, the Wins are about a half-dozen Savage 99s. None of the cartridges are crimped. There isn't a bullet shift problem, partly because the powder loading density is near 100%, and there has been no forward drift, but the bullets are tight in the necks.