In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 99 Barrett

Mbgman20Mbgman20 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
I recently bought one of these and was wondering what type of ammo to use for just shooting and what type for hunting

Comments

• richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    By hunting assume you mean large dangerous game like Chipmunks, squirrels and groundhogs? You are pretty limited in hunting type ammo, there are few game type bullets available, the hornady A-max being the only one that comes to mind presently.

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think you are wasting your time hunting with a .50bmg

but i think that model prefers a 661 grain fmj

reloaderror.jpg
  • ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunting with a 50bmg, I would love to see that. I have a buddy that has one of those and his likes the Hornady A-Max 750gn. The mil surplus ammo plan stinks in that rifle. You would lucky to hold 1.5MOA.

Also Hodgdon H50BMG powder seems to be a favorite among 50cal shooters. Load development is going to HURT. Cheapest we found A-Max bullets for is 1.00 a piece.

Also don't bother with military once fired brass. They are a pain to work with since most of them have been fired through the Ma Deuce. Barrett sells once fired brass that has been fired from their rifles for a really good price and the brass is A LOT easier to work with.

So do you really plan to hump that crew served weapon around in the woods? [:D]