In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

300 ultra mag Data

2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
Looking to load some 300 ultra mag for elk and deer in Colorado.
Any body have any load data they would like to share?
Looking to be very accurate.

Comments

• young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just c is going to hop on here and help you out on this one....I can tell

Neo-Jedi Order

th_reblogo.gif

th_israel-army_03.gif

th_22987.jpgMWC
    '05
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i can only quote you book data if you have a powder in mind, but juctc is the rifle caliber man

reloaderror.jpg
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My chamber is a TIGHT match chamber which is a tad short throated. That being said,..what weight pills are you looking at? I would suggest NO LESS THAN a 200gr pill in the 300RUM. There is no reason for downloading a RUM with light bullets made for the win/wthby mags.

I got to 88.0gr H1000 with the 200gr SMK. RL25 will go a few grains higher. I also got (so far, need to work higher) 90gr Retumbo behind the 216gr clinch river. I would suggest the 200gr Accubond for elk using RL25 or Retumbo or H1000 and the Fed 215M primer. Your factory chamber will likely go higher in charge weight than mine but as always start low and work up. Go in .3gr increments and work your way up. You should find a load that runs the 200gr pills at around 3100fps with great accuracy.

Here is the 89grs of retumbo behind a 216gr clinch river with a 215M primer and match prepped Rem brass.

100_0727.jpg

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Five shots, called flyer on the shot break of the first for a wind change. Match chamber with the throat cut for the 210 Berger VLD, these are Nosler Partitions and a slightly slower lot number of Re-25 at 200 yds.

target3.gif

rifleman.gif
  • 2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow,,thats the kind of shooting Im looking for. What gun and scope are you using? I have lots of data for the 300 ultra but most of the data doesnt show results just recipes. I just bought the gun I have not mounted a scope yet but wanted to start working up a load.

I did however shhot a 5x5 bull last week with a 7mm ultra 162gn hornady btsp with 92gns of retumbo,,dropped in one shot just about 125 yards.[:)]
    edited November -1
    I beleive both mine and nononsense' rifles are pretty far from anything resembling a store bought rifle. That being said, My tube is a 5 groove PacNor select match finished at 30" in a 1:10 twist with a Vais Break and screwed to a Remington 700 receiver. The glass on mine is a Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 with the R2 reticle (quite versatile reticle for target/varmint/tactical uses) My necks were turned to remove high spots and sized in a Wilson Neck die which was cut with the same reamer.

I am sold on the RL25, Retumbo, AA8700, N170 burn rate for these HUGE capacity cases. They really benefit from heavy bullets and slow powders.

Got Balistics?
    edited November -1
    Any luck with the H1000 or IMR 4831
    edited November -1
    H1000 in my chamber behind a 200gr SMK will go to a max of 88.0grs. I was disappointed in the velocity and the load density is somewhat minimal. 4831 is faster than the H1000 so I have not even bothered to load any of that. Now, in lighter pills you may find RL22 and 4831 to be compatable,..but for the size of the powder capacity in the RUM, the slowest powders are really the best bet, and even they have trouble filling the case before they run into pressure. H870 was the only powder we could get up to a high load density.

Got Balistics?
    edited November -1
    I like retumbo,,and have used it in my 7mm ultra. I havent really tried any other powders in my ultra's yet. but thats part of the game. Just starting to look at data and tables for my 300. I think I will start with a 200 gr pill now trying to select the powder.
    edited November -1
    use RL25 or Retumbo. The large majority of LR guys I have discussed this chambering with are using heavy pills and one of these two powders seems to be the one they settled on. I went to retumbo from H1000 and have yet to look back (not that I can see the future).

Got Balistics?