In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-30 loads

beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
I have several 30-30's, a couple of Winchesters and a couple of Marlins, along with a 325 Stevens. Does anyone have a good load for a lighter bullet, say 125 or 130? Does anyone shoot cast bullets? I have some 165gr. lead bullets that I would like to try. I mainly shot at cans and stuff. Gee, this forum is quite. I thought when it opened it would at least come close to the "ask the experts".

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most accurate load I had for the 30-30 used a medium Book listed charge of IMR 4895. I did note some unburned powder kernnels in the cases after shooting them, seating the bullets longer seemed to help a bit. The group was about 3-4" at 100 yards.

I also used Unique powder but was dissatisified with the results in my rifle.

There is some reloading info available for the 30-30 using light bullets in the ENCORE pistol. Doing a google search might get you what you need.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I load a lot of .30-30 loads with a 160 gr cast lead bullet with a gas check and 10.4 gr of Herco. It makes a good plinking load for my pre-64 Winchester 94.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have a family heirloom Win 1894 carbine mfg in 1898. I shoot no jacketed bullets in it. I cast some bullets, but mostly I shoot Oregon Trail Laser-Cast bullets in it. They are an alloy of about 4 or 5 metals. For the 30 WCF (aka 30-30) I prefer the 170 grain and load with either IMR 4198 or SR 4759. Velocities run from 1500 to 1700 fps with pressures well below maximum. Leading is not a problem, and probably wouldn't be at even higher velocities. I use the bullets for my hunter education classes in 308 and 30-06, with velocities running between 1800-2000 fps and leading is very minimal. I suppose the 30-30 loaded with cast bullets at 1700 fps would kill a deer, but I'd prefer something with a little more snap, saving the 30-30 for fun.
  • Options
    whitedemon89@yahoo.comwhitedemon89@yahoo.com Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-30 loads are easy, 170gr. semi jacketed with 1.6 cc of imr 4198

Whenever in Danger, Empty the chamber.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    You will need to load them one at a time because of the tip shape, but IMR 3031 and a 125 gr Ballistic Tip make for a very interesting load.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.