In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading the .45 LC

Okay here's what I've done so far. Remember: The only reloading experience I have is pulling on a damn lever for hours, loading .38 specials for Grandpa. I have not really done anything, but complete the motions.

I got my dies. I purchased the Lee 4-die Carbide set. I did this because I have a lee press, and wanted to make sure everything would work out as planned.

I purchased 200 nickel plated remington .45 LC cases.

I also got my projectiles: 500 count Lead Bullet Technology Heat Treated Solid Handgun bullets .45 325 GR. LFNPB

I'm going to load these to 1100fps minimum. I believe I can go as high as 1325fps, because that is what Buffalo Bore does w/ these same bullets. http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/#45colt

Once again, so I don't freak anyone out. I am loading these for use in a Contender ONLY!

Now, on to powder. I'm not looking to play around a whole lot at first. I just want a fairly accurate load that I can hunt with. I'm only going to buy one kind of powder. What do you suggest? How much?

Ben

24.gif

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    WW-296 is a favorite of mine for heavy loads in the 45 Colt. H-110, and AA#9 will also do a excellent job. They are all good powders for the big colt so pick the one you can buy for the least amount of money, or find a little of each one until you find what the gun really likes.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    How much should I buy?

Ben

24.gif
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Buy a pound and make sure you can get accurate loads before you buy a bunch. I would suggest 2400 and Hodgdon or IMR 4227, as they are much more forgiving than h110 or 296. the 2 I suggested also allow you to load a little less powder if you want some lighter practice ammo. 110 and 296 cannot be loaded down. A pound of any of them will load 350 rounds plus or minus a little. there are 7000 grains in a pound, divide that by whatever your load is to figure it out exactly.

• Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Ben ,, Do you have the str8 45 colt or the 45/410 [?]
    If it's the 45/410 think you'll be wasteing time they are not most accurate barrel out there.

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you must be a gluton for punishment. using 17.5 grs 2400/max load in speer manual for 300 gr bullet will give you only 1048 fps. 23 grs 296 will give 1193 fps,also max in speer book. you might find that contender imbeded in your forehead on the first shot. being new to reloading you might want to start with the minimum load and work your way up. in most cases in all the reloading i have done the most accurate load is most often not the fastest. anyway my point was even if you have a muzzle tamer on that barrel the recoil is going to be pretty strong, start light and work your way up.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I shoot 310 grain bullets at 1200 out of my 44 cal ruger vaqueros. they weight a lot less than your contender and aren't bad to handle.

• Options
    edited November -1
    I can't see it being much worse than a .44mag, as far as recoil goes. And, I know it will be brisk![}:)][:p]

It is the .45/.410, but does that make that much of a difference? I know it would in the .44mag/.410.

And, I'm really not loading for accuracy. I need a good deer killer that can hit a pie plate at 70 yards, although I won't shoot past 40.

Oh, and the barrell is ported, but the gun is LIGHT! Yeah, I'm not planning on it feeling "good". Gloves will be used.

Ben

24.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hold a 45 up to a 410 see how much bullet jump your going to have NOT GOOD. I tried mine couldnt even hit a 3D deer target at 25 yards.

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let us know how the lifespan of that nickle brass is.I"ve always had 'em split on the seocnd or third load no matter what caliber,and even with very light loads.
    They clean up easy and look pretty,but nickel brass is not high on my list.

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • Options
    edited November -1
    alrighty Throck. We should get a real good indication.

surekill, don't poop on my parade. I'm really going to be pissed if they're flying that badly.

Ben

24.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    NO I'm not chitting on your parade, just don't be pissed when you miss. Just that between me and my brothers all 3 were like that [B)]

• Options
    edited November -1
    surekill, I hear what you are saying. That's what sucks.

Ben

24.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay. My local guy only has Winchester Powder. Powder is pretty much classified the same way regardless of brand, right? It would be the same numbers wouldn't it?

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    some will have the same numbers, other will not. winchester will not have anything with the same numbers. get a burn rate chart and check what powder you are looking for and compare it with the winchester powder number, or better yet get a manual and see if one of the winchester powders is in the load you want. need to add that the burn rates may be similar between say imr4895 and h4895, but not exact. you have to use different powder charges to make up for the small difference.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Options
    The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Ben:

This is getting to be kind of an old post but I just noticed it and hope you're still alive.

I'm not trying to be a smart a_s but I've been reloading for 31 years so please bear with me.

If you've really done nothing more than "pull a lever" you need to get a real reloading manual (or 2) + pick up some of the free literature thats out there and READ THEM.

If you don't know the basics, at least, you shouldn't be attempting hot handloads or likely any reloads until you've studied up some and preferably talked with a knowledgeable reloader.

Like one of the guys mentioned....some of the powders must not be downloaded, and no, you can't go by "like names", different charges for cast vs. jacketed bullets, differences in brass/primers, primer types and on and on and on............

Don't mean to talk down to you but you kinda scared me. Hope you keep reloading 'cuz it's a great hobby but don't go by guess and by golly. Pleez read up on it.
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start with light loads and work up from there. At least .45 Colts are pretty straightforward loads. Powders are NOT the same from mfr. to mfr., so make SURE you have the right loading chart. Make sure you are loading right for your bullet type and size. Get a good caliper, and make sure your product is the right finished length. Too short, and the compression can cause an explosive overpressure.

Reloading is a "no bull" game, like shooting itself. Care must be taken, or there can be life-and-death consequences.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just so you all know. I appreciate the comments, and I am still listening very closely. Thank you,

Ben

President: Loyal Order of Teletubbies
    elefuns5038.gif
    Distinguished Kuwaiti Observer
    un_medal_ikom.jpg