In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

JustC - 1911a1 I have an Idea

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
How about we make a basic reloaders equipment list of "Must have" items
to get started in reloading and make it a sticky.

Less brand names to be fair. Maybe add some links etc.

sniper.gif
NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds good. I would say breaking it down in stages would be good.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    No...WITH brand names. Yes, everybody will have their opinion...but the basics are the basics.

Then a mid level as well.

Some will start out with the basics with 50% eyeing this as a lifelong hobby...therefore, you don't want to spend money twice.

GREAT IDEA though!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    agreed tool preference will be left out,..but opinion after using more than one type of tool is always welcome. Some tools work better than others[;)]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a great idea. I have seen the request about starter equipment/setups asked on several other sites.
    While trying to answer the question the discussion seems to turn to, I love brand X,your choice of brand Z is wrong,brand Y is junk.
    I would suggest without brand names.
    Brands could be discussed in seperate threads not on the sticky.

Retired Air Force Msgt--NRA Life Member since 1971
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe some product reviews?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would also say a breakdown as to rifle/pistol/shotgun proceedures would work. Explain the proceedure from set-up to firing. Also, Full length sizing, partial full length sizing, and neck sizing differences. I would think a link to powder burn rate charts and primer charts would speed up the learning curve as well as give new loaders some pertinent information they can print out and refer to.

A "sticky" dictionary of loading terms may be a good idea as well. Terms can be added as things progress. I beleive nononsense would be able to give a chamber reamer schematic and just about take complete care of the internal dimension terms in no time at all.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a good solid method on load development and data recording?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would say a "load ladder" thread could be written with a concise definition of the "Creighton Audette" method as well as Dan Nweberry's "round robin" style of shooting the ladder and that would be a huge step in the right direction.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about a different sticky for each piece of equipment. That way, you can discuss the good and the bad without having to discuss ANOTHER piece of equipment. For example:

STICKY: Scales- you guys could have a discussion on JUST scales here

STICKY: dies - so on and so forth.

if you just make ONE sticky, then it will get too large and confusing.

just my .02 cents[:p]

jumpmaster.bmp
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yeah,..a seperate post for each would be best. That way they load faster on dial-up and one can get right to the meat of the question without having to review the information for other tools/supplies/methods etc.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well How are we going to set this up? I agree that brand names should be left out. Maybe make a list of basic brands in general, Mid, and upper end. But leave it up to the individual to choose where the start point is for them. Maybe get different volunteers to draft up a list for the different types of reloading. "Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun". I can help with pistol. I`ll be right here if ya wanna send me an email.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would think a description of the process would be best, and the individual can pick whatever brand they wish to use. The general method is the same, no matter the name brand. Pics help immensely here.

Got Balistics?