In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TC Contender 30-30 Win. 170gr ?

Mico1Mico1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Hi everybody,
I have the opportunity to purchse a lot of 10 boxes of Imperial ammos cal. 30-30 WIN bullet weight 170gr. for the price of 60 CND$. My question is, can I shoot those ammos in my TC Contenter ? I look on the web but always saw maximum bullet weight of 150 gr. Will it be safe to used them in my TC Contender ?

Michel
Qu?bec, Canada

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I don't think it would hurt. I have a 35 Remington barrel for my TC and I use 200 gr in it without problems. The heavier the bullet, the more recoil. I think TC is plenty strong for factory 30-30 loads.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mico1,

The average pressure of the factory 30-30 Win. cartridges is supposed to be within the rating of the Contender pistols and rifles. I have not used your particular brand of ammunition but I do use factory Remington 30-30 Win. loaded with 170 gr. FP bullets in my T/C contender pistol. As a matter of fact, this load proved to be the most accurate of any including handloads that I tested. I would think that you should be fine, although I would test some carefully first.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    earlwellmanearlwellman Member Posts: 645 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am looking at my "Complete Reloading Manual for the Contender". It even goes up to a 180 grn Siera round nose load. I got the book to allow me to better judge the loads for a pointed bullet that the contender allows. Look for it at midway usa. Now there are 2 books, one for 17bee to 7mm and one for 30 carbine to 45/70 gov. I have a 45-70 gov. and believe me that you could load a 30-30 round with a bowling ball and not hurt a gun that is good enough for a 45-70[:D]
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes you'll be ok with the 170's

1 shot is all ya get so make it a " SUREKILL " (T/C Encore-/-Contender/ MATHEWS SWITCHBACK Shooter)