In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Most accurate .243 factory varmint loads?

torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
Saved up enough as a single parent to buy my 12 yr old a Savage 243 bolt, not heavy barrel, with accutrigger for Christmas. I would like to buy three or four boxes of ammo to sight it in and use on woodchucks this summer. Shots range from 20 yds to 300+ yds. Can anyone recommned a good light-bulleted factory load that their Savage likes? I know reloading is far better but can't afford to buy the setup right now. All comments are appreciated, Happy Holidays

Comments

• Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother has a similar setup and buys the winchester 55 grain ballistic silvertips (Combined Technology). He shoots 1/2" groups with these in a light rifle. Absolute death on coyotes.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look for any of the factory ammo loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tips or the Hornady factory ammo with V-Max bullets is usually very accurate in most guns............good luck..........[8D]
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way excellent choice and bravo for getting your son a .243.
    I've had my 12 year old son shooting a .243 since he was 10 and he absolutely loves it and is a good shot. Light, small, accurate guns that are "EASY" on recoil make it fun to shoot and makes them want to shoot more. Your choice of gun, (Savage) and Caliber are perfect for the application and pretty easy on the budget too.
    Whichever suggestion you take on ammo just keep saving your empties and some day when you want to start loading you'll have all that brass. Either that or buddy up to someone who loads for a .243 and feed him brass, powder, primers and bullets and you may have a good relationship there, I do that for some of my buddies that aren't into loading.
    Anyway congratulations on picking an excellent gift and a great way to get your son interested in shooting.
    Your Savage should be incredibly accurate with a variety of factory bullets so don't cause yourself too much brain damage trying to decide, get 4 boxes of shells within your budget and don't look back, your son will love you for it.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm kind of partial to 80gr. Federals...my wife out shot me with her Savage 110PE using those and shot a .187" 3 shot, shot group.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Snellstrom. Those 55 gr Winchester are deadly accurate at 200 yards and more. Too light for deer but the absolute best for coyote and woodchucks.