In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 70 Trigger

watanacreekwatanacreek Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
It's been a while since I have a bought a new Winchester Model 70. I decided to try out one of the Ultimate Shadows in 223 WSSM. The trigger sucks. Big Time. It has three stages, creep, more creep and squish. No big deal, take the action out of the stock and and adjust the trigger. Sure, right after you heat up the glue on the adjustment nuts so you can get the stuff off. The spring is so heavy that you can not get much in the way of adjustment without loosing all spring tension. The trigger guard is a also a real work of art. Looks like it was finished off with 60 grit sand paper. Guess I'm not asking for help, just venting. Are all the new Winchesters built like this???????

pw

Comments

• Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by watanacreek
    Guess I'm not asking for help, just venting. Are all the new Winchesters built like this???????
    pw

Not in my limited experience. I've got the Super Shadow in 270WSM and I was able to adjust the trigger at the range in about 20 minutes. Now it's a little too light for hunting, but man it's smooth. I'm wondering what (besides the caliber) is the difference between the "Super "and "Ultimate" Shadows. We

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply Andy. I didn't expect a target weight trigger on this rifle. I had cap guns when I was a kid that had better triggers than this rifle. I measured the trigger pull and it was 5.5 pounds, it feels worse than that with all the creep. Crisp trigger at 3lbs would be fine with me. Glad to hear that your trigger worked for you. I may have a trigger spring from and older M70, if I do I'll clean up the trigger a bit and try a different spring.

pw
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I'd hate to think I got lucky with a new m-70 trigger. Not that I hope yours is crap; I just hope it's the exception. I'd be interested in knowing how it works out for you.

-Andy

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I purchased 3 M70s of the new pre-64 style and all have pretty decent triggers, but time is marching on and the most recent of these was made in 1996, so I guess they aren't all that new. Brownells lists a few parts that may be of help if your trigger turns out to be more of a problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have not had a chance to work on this rifle since my first posting. When I do I'll let you guys know how it turned out. I did find a older model 70 trigger spring that should help things out.

pw