In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 wcf

wap41wap41 Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
Just got a win highwall 22wcf could use all info I can get about reloading for it.Bullet diameter,what case and loading data. Thanks wap41

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Working off the top of my head (no referances where I'm at)
    Use 22 Hornet brass, and a .224 lead bullet of approx the same weight as you would use for a Hornet.
    IIRC the 22WCF was a blackpowder cartridge, so you will want to keep the pressures down.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks,I thought somewhere I read that 22wcf used 227 bullets not sure thats why I'm looking for info.The dies for 22wcf are different and cost about triple normal.Any other help?
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember the Savage .22 HP uses .227 bullets.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like I said, I'm away from my referances, so I was guessing on the diameter. In any event, you will need to slug your bore to determine the size your rifle needs (let's just say that bore diameters wern't as consistant back than) As they use a lead bullet, you would be better off casting your own to the approperate size.
    When I say "use hornet brass", I mean to form the 22wcf casings from.
    You only have to purchase dies one time, have you gotten pricing from C4HD? There often quite reasonable on custom dies.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    savage 22 hp does use 227 bullets but I thought I saw somewhere 227 was also for 22wcf Thanks for all the info wap41
  • Options
    RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nonte, in _Home Guide to Cartridge Conversions_, calls for .226" bullets, and says that the dimensions of the Hornet and W.C.F. cases are so similar that the Hornet cases usually fit. That would be a happy situation as RCBS .22 W.C.F. dies retail for $123.65 and CH/4D are $72.45. Lee Hornet dies are $30.98 from Lee, but $18.89 from Midway.
    An oversize expander button would shorten brass life, but you can buy a lot (about 500) of Hornet brass for the $50.00 difference in die prices, or anneal the necks from time to time.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross