In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New reloading manuals

SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
So I've been loading since I was 14 years old, ( now 44 ), about 30 years, I started with a Sierra manual and have updated that one once or twice and years ago added a Speer, Hornaday, the P.O. Ackley books couple others I can't remember that I seldom use and about 5 years ago I got a Nosler manual too. For everything I reload for I am well covered in information however I sometimes do a little research when thinking about buying up new calibers/cartridges or do some comparing when people ask me about their specific rifles as compared to some older standards. What manuals should I upgrade to to stay on the cutting edge so to speak. I want something that will cover the old standby stuff I know and love but also has all the new short mag stuff from Win and Rem and the ultra mag stuff, maybe the 6.8, you know what I mean. Was thinking about the Barnes manual as well as a "new" Sierra, but what else in your opinions should grace my shelves and benches?

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to see some "adjustments" in that past 5-7yrs (like you have probably seen). Some of the guys I have talked to have called sierra and received any changed/new data since their manual was produced for I beleive a very agreeable price. The Nosler manual seems to stay pretty consistent with only new additions.

The data you can get from some "approvable" sites is also very good. Steve Ricciardelli has experimented with pert near every caliber out there, including a great many wildcats.

I lean on the nosler, sierra, and vihta vouri manuals. I also look at the sierra and nosler manual at the beginning of the caliber data to see what type of barrel and/or rifle was used to get an idea of what to expect.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Why buy the manuals?

To get up to date info...it is right here on the web...at least for IMR Powder, Hogdon, & Accurate.

There are MANY loads not included in their latest manuals that are on the web only. Buy a package of paper and some ink...and press print!

Seriously....they even recommend it on their website.

Of note, if you have something not in the manuals or online, email any of the powder companies...they usually get back to you within a couple of days.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to say I am somewhat disapointed in most manuals of late. There are so many instances where loads have been reduced in my old favorite calibers that I don't want to bother with the new manuals. Nosler is pretty good though. I will say I wish I had kept better notes through the years. I do use new information off the net from IMR , Hodgdon, and AA to load the newer calibers, but even that is lacking.
    Vihtavuori is great powder but they cover very few calibers. Mostly competition stuff. I've had a heck of a time getting info on new and "obscure" calibers like my .257 Roberts. I find myself doing more comparison load searching than knowing where I can legitimately start from given information in a book.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like the hornady manual, it has just about every caliber i will ever need. mine is the last edition, so it doesn't have the short mags. i don't need any of those things anyways. also has the ballistics book to go with it.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    The only new manual I have purchased in several years is the Lyman manual. I shoot a lot of cast lead loads and they are one of the few that cover these. I save a lot of loading articles from magazines when they test new powders,bullets,calibers, etc. I have been loading for about 45 years. I started with a Lee loader and a hammer in the late 1950's.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I still use the Lee Loader and a Hammer..[:D]

"when you see the enemy, you attack and shoot him down, anything less is just bull shi*
    Baron Von Richthofen (RED BARON)

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my manuals are olders ones also. I know that Imr, Hodgdon, Hornady and Speer have information on their websites for specific calibers also. Nosler also has information for the new bullets and calibers. I dont bother to update to new manuals much, instead I search some of their sites for new updated info.

Roy.gifGuncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken Waters "Pet Loads" has worked for me...BUT I broke down and bought a new Hornady set a few weeks ago.......Sooo many new bullets and powders out there now days. The internet does have some good info too.. Most of my books are 20-30 years old now.

"No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.
    - Ronald Reagan
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what manual is the best or do I need one for everthing. I got a sierra manual that came with the loading kit but didnt have any data I needed for the calibers I load and shoot.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2BGood,

It would help us help you if you told us what cartridges that you load for that weren't in the Sierra manual. I keep fairly close tabs on most of the manuals and I can locate information on almost all of the cartridges except for wildcats. Those, I have to generate my own data or know of someone who has worked with them before.

Wolfe Publishing still prints a large book on wildcats with some O.K. data. Wildcat Cartridges I & II

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vihta Vuori also puts its data online.

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/

Hmm, so does Alliant:

http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/index2.html

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    ~Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here

"Our enemies...never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."
    ~President George W. Bush
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Load data can be found on the web ,,I agree.
    But if I wanted to have a manual on the bench with me I was wondering what you guys thought was the best.
    I load 7mm ultra and 300 ultra seems like the 300 is a bit more available. I also load other calibers but they are in almost every book.

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well 2BGood I really like the Sierra Manual I have with the exception that started this discussion, it doesn't have some stuff I occasionally want to look up. Maybe my Sierra manual is old? But I really like the Sierra format/ info in their manual, I also love their ballistics program that I run in my computer.
    The Sierra manual I have does not list( to name a few) 7.62x39, 300 short mag and ultra mags of all calibers as well as many others that are new or up and coming (.204, 6.8, all the WSSM's and WSM's, RUM's and Rem short mags).
    Does anyone have the newest Sierra manual? does it cover these?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sierra will mail you (for a modest some of course) the RUM data and possibly by now they have the short mag and super short mag data. Call the tech dept and they will tell you all the new data since yours was published.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys I will look at sierra,,I was told the hornady 2 volume set was great also.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Anyone else have links to on line manuals???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hodgdons has a pretty good website with lots of loads, 'bout every caliber/ cartridge you can dream up.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    www.imrpowder.com/

www.hogdon.com/

Has everybody else noticed that maximum powder charges have dropped in just about every caliber as JustC stated?