In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading question.

65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
Reloading question.

I am new to reloading so bear with me.

My question is when you go to remove the primer from the fired brass does it also size the case in the press, or does it do that when you go to seat the bullet? Please explain in as much detail as possible.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
- Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, resizing is done when you remove the primer from the casing. Crimping the bullet may be done at the same time as seating the bullet in the casing.

This is the simple answer as there are always exceptions. If you are new to reloading or thinking about it, obtain a reloading manual (Speer or Lyman is my suggestion) and study it.
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can also get just a decaping die. it will punch out primers without sizing the brass.
  • Options
    65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for your help.

I will most likely start off small with .38 spcl/ +p FULL wadcutters, and move up from there. Yes I will be casting my own bullets. I will either post the range report here or on the general discussion forum.

" Those who give up a little freedom for temporary security, deserve neither freedom nor security "
    - Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a word of warning read whatever reloading manual you have then re-read it again before you start loading. In my opinion +P loads or hot loads or maximum loads should not be your first loads. Start as the book says and work your way up to a maximum load.
    If I misunderstood your post then my apologies but it sounds as if you intend on loading +P (which reads near max or hot in my book) as your first loads, again I am not in agreement. Start small work your way up slowly. Be very careful when loading for pistols as a beginner, a double powder charge is easy to fit in a pistol case and potentially dangerous when fired.
    Be careful..............
  • Options
    RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most commonly lead full wadcutters are regarded as target bullets, and are generally used at reduced pressures. Plus Pressure, +P, loads are generally jacketed or hardened lead alloy to take the higher pressures of firing.
    Most experienced reloaders shoot far more target loads than serious social ones, and that is a good way to get your feet wet in reloading, tinkering in the shallow end until you gain experience working up loads suitable to your guns.
    Max loads will worry your guns into senility far more quickly than many times the number of more accurate target loads.
    Welcome to the fascinating affliction of handloading.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross