In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

splits, cracks, and damages

gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
I am sort of new to reloading and can you guys give some pics of splits and other damages to reloaded shells so i know what they look like. Better safe that sorry Thank You and God Bless

Comments

• Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also I`d like to see what a balloon case looks like. I`ve heard of them but I don`t think I`ve ever seen one.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe it is P.O. Ackleys books have some excellent pictures of just what you fellas are asking for. I don't have the ability to post them but there may be some on-line reference materials that show some of this hazardous brass failure.
    Good luck and be careful.
  • Options
    gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    can you give me some
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    have you looked in your reloading manuel? i have four differant manuels and every one has pictures of bad cases. if you dont have a manuel i would suggest getting some.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by knucklehead14
    Also I`d like to see what a balloon case looks like. I`ve heard of them but I don`t think I`ve ever seen one.

"UNTIE!"

Balloon head cases AKA folded head cases were a early development, the one most commely encountered is in 45Colt.
    To understand how they were made, what they look like inside, and why you don't want to use them with modern loads, cut a (fired) 22 rimfire case in half and look at how the rim was formed. Now cut a "modern" style case in half and compair the amount of metal in the case head area.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    knucklehead14,

Q. What is a "balloon head" case?

A. Balloon head cases were an early design for the rapid production of cartridge cases. The first cartridge cases were formed from a disc of copper sheeting that was folded into shape. However, this "folded head" design would not stand high pressures, even when reinforced with an inside cup.
    The earliest cartridge cases were rim fire--that is the priming compound was around the edge of the rim. Later the priming mixture was placed in a cup like insert that was fitted into the base cartridge case and held in place with a crimp. Cases of this design are known as "inside primed." Neither of these designs were reloadable. When separate primers were developed they were originally used in a folded case design called a balloon head which had an integral pocket for the separate external primer. Because the folded balloon head design could not withstand high pressures it was subsequently reinforced with a separate internal cup at its base. Unfortunately, this proved both difficult to do and insufficiently strong.
    Newer technology allowed the forming of cartridge cases from a hollowed out brass slug and these balloon head cases (also referred to as the "hollow bar case" gave greater strength, but were still insufficiently strong for the pressure levels generated by modern smokeless powders. The balloon head design was superceded by the solid head (also called the solid bar head) case design which is used in all modern ammunition.
    Balloon head cases are rare today and if found should not be reloaded.

Balloonheadfoldedcases.gif

Top Row: Rim fire, inside primed, folded balloon head. Bottom Row: Reinforced balloon head, solid balloon head, solid head

http://www.frfrogspad.com/index.htm#Frog's

gunzforever,

NeckSplits_256Newton.jpg

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It looks like a balloon head would be very noticeable when you look inside the case.

"UNTIE!"