In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

?? for 25-06 reloaders.................

are any of you reloading the 25-06, using 100-117 gr bullets and getting velocities that are comparable (insert common sense here) to the 257 Weatherby?
I'm certain that Wthby overstates their velocities, as most commercial ammo mfg's do. The price of Wthby ammo, the wasted powder, the somewhat excessive -for- caliber recoil/muzzle-jump(I know the free-bore design causes that) have got me wondering just how close you can get to 257 Wthby's velocities with a 25-06, all else being equal?
I really enjoy my 257 but I've been playing with the idea of a semi-custom 25-06 for sometime and I just wanna gather all the facts I can before I decide once and for all exactly what I'm gonna do.

I guess I should've mentioned initially that the Wthby 257 is supposed to be generating 3825fps with 87gr sp's, 3600fps with 100grainers and 3400fps with 115 and 117 gr pillsranging from Ballistic silver tips to Barnes-x's, all vel's at the muzzle
JustC, I assume you'll have a few words of wisdom for me, as would nononsense, I hope?!

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wanted man,

Words of wisdom... sure! Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

My thoughts on the 25-06 are fairly simple:

It's a superb cartridge for deer hunting but it can be enhanced by using a reamer for an improved cartridge configuration, which ever one that gets your blood going. I have a couple with the Ackley shoulder and I use them the most but you can also get reamers made with a 35 degree or even a 30 degree shoulder and your performance will be better than if you use the 17 degree 30 minute shoulder of the standard 25-06 cartridge.

The improved cartridges utilize more of the powder charge more efficiently than the standard cartridge will. The shoulder creates a better shape which helps more powder to burn in the case and in less barrel length, thereby gaining potential velocity without having to use more powder. It's more efficient, just like the newer cars that burn gasoline more efficiently than the older ones did 30 years ago.

To get the most out of the 25-06 or 25-06AI, you really need to use a longer barrel, 26" is just about right but longer won't hurt if you can accommodate it with your hunting style. I know a couple of guys using 28" barrels on Ruger #1's but those get a bit unwieldy when combined with a bolt action. Folks that insist on using 22" to 24" barrels will not get the velocities that you can if you use a 26" barrel. It's simple physics, you need more barrel (bore) volume in order to burn all of the powder required to get the bullet up to velocities that you want.

Lighter bullets need a faster powder to be somewhat efficient. The case capacity is a little on the large side for the ligher bullets but judicious selection of slightly faster powders can help. XMR-4350 is a good one for starters but try others depending on your barrel.

Don't forget that all barrels respond differently, some can be 'fast' while some can actually be 'slow' by comparison. I suggest that you look at only the top barrel makers and choose a barrel from them. There's more than a dozen so it's not like it's a limiting factor. Only use gunsmiths that understands accuracy. They don't have to be benchrest 'smiths but they need to be capable of creating an accurate rifle system using some of the benchrest techniques. Remember that this is a system not just an amalgamation of parts. Accuracy is dependent on a careful selection of the parts as well as the correct assembly of them into a system.

There's a lot more but this is something to get you started.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    listen to the man, he knows of what he speaks.[;)] The improved shoulder is definitely an "improvement" over the original.

Also, the wthby info is optimistic and based on the fact that the barrel has a TON of freebore to get the bullet moving. They make great speed but only come with a 1 1/2" garantee,.which IMHO is crap.

If you want better throat life and better accuracy, a good tight chambered 25-06AI reamer will make close the to the same velocity with better brass life and far better accuracy than a factory WTHBY 257mag barrel will ever give.

Twist it fast for good heavy pills and a 26" tube for maximum powder efficiency.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Been out of pocket a couple of days, thanx for the replies fellas!
    Hope y'all had a good turkey day.
    Know anybody wants to buy a .257 Wthby?*LOL*[:)]