In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading brass

gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
i don't know about you other reloaders, but i reload .308 and it seems to me that remington core-lok cleans up and reloads nicer than winchester brass espescially the primer holes. Have any of you reloaders out there noticed that?

Comments

• Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have also noticed that same thing, although I am not sure why this is. My guess is simply their choice of powder. Along the same lines the winchesters leave a lot more powder residue in the firearm then the remingtons, ecspecially in handguns.

"The man who can hunt with 1 gun is the most dangerous, but that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of guns"

http://www.geocities.com/jonnya0322/
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hadn't noticed any difference. However, I sort the brass my maker, so I am doing all one maker's brass prep and have nothing with which to compare. I leave the brass, tumbling in the corn cob media for two hours, which gets it very bright. After that, I only need a turn or two with the flash hole tool, to get that clean, making certain that no media is stuck in the case. It is the milsurp cases that need more care, in order to make the new primers seat.

roysclockgun
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have noticed that the R-P brass tends to weigh more per case, which means more brass, less powder space, and differences in pressure. I prefer to use Winchester brass, but I'm familiar with it's characteristics and pressure indicators. If I switched to R-P, with no other changes, I'd guess that the first thing to happen would be a blown primer, the second would be a locked-up bolt, and if I was dumb enough to try a third one, I'd probably have a large portion of the pressure exiting elsewhere than the muzzle.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found some years ago that the R-P brass had flatter primer pockets and it was a little easier to uniform them. The Winchesters tend to have a rounded bottom that would not square up with the normal depth setting. Winchester brass does have sligtly thinner walls than R-P or Federal. That is the reason that most of the reloading manuals suggest that you work up loads using one brand of brass and start all over again when you change brands, and that goes for the primer also. If you are running a 85% or higher load, you should never change brands of primer or brass without starting over at the beginning load. Anyone running a hot load and switches brass or primer without starting over is just begging for trouble. Both R-P and Winchester make very good brass. The only problem I have with American brass manufacturers is that they still punch their flashole instead of drilling them and all too often the flashole is off center and has a burr on the inside of the case, forcing me to have to de-burr each and every case. Not so with Norma and Lapua.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunzforever
    i don't know about you other reloaders, but i reload .308 and it seems to me that remington core-lok cleans up and reloads nicer than winchester brass espescially the primer holes. Have any of you reloaders out there noticed that?

Remington Core-lok!! I thought that was a bullet ?

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it is i was just stating the kind or remington brass