In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bullseye shooters?

brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
i just started shooting bullseye,slow fire revolver. i'm using a 148 gr hollow base wadcutter with 4.5 gr unique. i just picked up a mold for a bevel base wc,6 cavity. i have heard that i have to increase the powder charge because the bullet is shorter.anybody have a good load for this bullet,148 gr in a 357 mag. thanks in advance for any info.

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    almost any load will work, but you might like to try several to see what your pistol likes. bullseye also works well 2.5 gns. on up, also w296, these seem to burn cleaner than unique.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2.7 to 3.0 gr of Bullseye in a .38 case is a standard target load for bullseye shooting from many years back.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I think Mike means W231, not w296. A charge of 296 heavy enough to light consistantly, is gonna lead that bore after 3 shots.

Bullseye, solo 1000, W231, or clays would be a good powder to try. If using 357 brass you can use 38 spec loads and up your starting charge by .5 grains to make up for the increased air space in the case.

Unique is incredibly dirty in low presure loads.

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have never gotten as good accuracy with bevel based wadcutters. That said, my favorite load is 3.3 gr 231 with a bevel based wadcutter in a 38 spl case. I would try both 357 mag brass and 38 spl brass. I have had some 357 mag revolvers that shot better with 357 brass than with 38 spl brass.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "I think Mike means W231", CORRECT, MY MISTAKE
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    great help from all thanks. i do use 357 brass because 38 spl gives me a much larger group.i guess i'll do some more playing,unique is kind of dirty.thanks again

gun control is not about guns, it is about CONTROL!