In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

700X 28 ga. load?

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
I have been using 700X, 11.0 grains for AA's in 28 ga., 3/4 oz. lead for many years. Saw that MEC had this listed for about 11.5 grains (1200 FPS) in the 60's (yea, that's how long I've been using it). In reviewing new load data they indicate that 700X is to fast burning and the pressures are to high for a 28 ga target load.

Has something changed in the 700X (I know there are newer, better powders I can change to if I wish, but I still have 20# left)or has this always been a high pressure target load? Why would it no longer be listed?

Since I've used this for 40 years with great success I assume it's not going to ruin the gun (would have done so by now), but if it is a high pressure load maybe I should consider changing. Any comments from the Skeet shooting group?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The slower burning powders are a better choice for the 28ga, but using 700-X is not out of the question. (just not the BEST choice) For years I loaded 28's with PB just because it was what I used for trap and I didn't want a shelf full of odd's and end's powder. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    geeguy:

The only reason to stop using a specific load is lack of performance!

As far as a manufacturer or reloading manual dropping a load? If it has questionable ballistics, pressure a bit higher than they'd like, perhaps some component is not available? These are all good reasons to drop a listing.

So here's a question for you: have you ever patterned this load?

If you have and it gives you the pattern you need for the range you want then I'll agree with xxcross and say carry on!

However if you have not done so take this oppertunity to do so! The ballisticians may actually know something we don't!

Having 20# is not a reason to continue use of a load that may or may not be getting the job done.

My experience has been the higher the pressure in the load the heavier the recoil and, sometimes, holes in the pattern.

I load 28 guage for trap and used 18.0 grains Bluedot in a Remington case with 3/4 oz. copper shot and a full choke. This load produces 7300 PSI according to Alliant's books. It patterns as it should and doesn't beat me up doing it! It also powders a clay as well as a 12 guage if I do my part!

Will suggest you look at a manual by loadbooks USA. They have 2 shotgun books one for 12 guage and the other for 20,28 and 410. I've found some great loads in this manual.

Last number I have for them : 805-250-8502 No web page. area code my be different but they were in Canyon Country, CA. 91351[8D]