In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please help with 44mag hunt loads

I'm getting mixed reports everywhere I look for 44mag loads. Some say start at 19.3gr of H110 some say 24gr of H110. Here is what I am using:

powder: H110
brass: Remington
primers: CCI 350 magnum primers
bullets: Hornady XTP 240gr JHP
gun: Ruger Redhawk 7.5" barrel

I would like to load for hunting, and want to practice. I was going to start at around 21gr but heard not to use magnum primers with reduced loads...is this correct?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speer #10 manual: case speer, bullet 240 speer HP, gun super blackhawk 7.5 bbl, primer same.
    24.4 gr H110 1416 fps, 22.4 listed as 1316 fps.

Tried H110 a long time ago I didn't like it. Shot about 40 pounds of the old Accurate Arms 5744 at 21 gr with cast kieth. Do not like the new 5744 so have setteled on 17.5 gr of bluedot with out mag primer.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Golden... For what its worth here is the load I use in my Taurus 8 3/4 inch with H110. Winchester 44mag brass..CCI 300 large pistol primer...21.0gr. H110...240gr JHP..fairly heavy crimp.......Never used magnum primers with H110, and this load seems to work fine. Just so you know The Lyman 48th Edition Reloading Handbook has a H110 load range of 23.5gr to 24.5gr using magnum primers for a Speer 240gr JHP. I personal would work up from the low end 19.3gr and work your way up. If I remember correctly from previous posts you are new to reloading. The longer barrel can create higher pressures. The Lyman load above was tested in a 4" barrel. Much better to error on the safe side than wreak havoc on your new redhawk.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Speer #10 manual: case speer, bullet 240 speer HP, gun & primer same.
    24.4 gr H110 1416 fps, 22.4 listed as 1316 fps.

Tried H110 a long time ago I didn't like it. Shot about 40 pounds of the old Accurate Arms 5744 at 21 gr with cast kieth. Do not like the new 5744 so have setteled on 17.5 gr of bluedot with out mag primer.
    My favorite load in 240gr JHP is 15.0gr Bluedot..CCI 300LP. H110 and Bluedot are both pretty stiff, but I get better groups with Bluedot
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    reloader44, this is my first time reloading 44's. I've been reloading alot of 45ACP but just got this Redhawk and want to start practicing for the field. I've got 1000 magnum primers already (for my DE 50) which is why I'de like to use them. I'll make sure to start around the 20gr load and work up from there. Thanks.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    goldeneagle - I use exactly the same components for my .44 Contender and Encore. They both like 23.9 grains with a light crimp. Since you are shooting a revolver, I would go with a little crimp and drop the powder charge about .5 grains. It is a pretty stout load, but it is accurate and deadly. I have taken 3 deer with this load and all three reacted like they were hit with a truck. DRT.
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot the h-110 from srh 9 1/2 "
    22 grains with jhp 240 or jfp 240
    both are excellent shooters with the srh
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    23 gr H-110, 240 gr HP or SP. Kills deer dead.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well there sure seems to be a lot of H110 fans here so I am different from them. I prefer 2400 at book max loads (22.2gr) lit by Mag primers pushing a 240 Keith style hard cast bullet. Case brand and primer brand have never been an issue but I try to stick with Federal stuff.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Well there sure seems to be a lot of H110 fans here so I am different from them. I prefer 2400 at book max loads (22.2gr) lit by Mag primers pushing a 240 Keith style hard cast bullet. Case brand and primer brand have never been an issue but I try to stick with Federal stuff.

Not so different. I use 2400 when shooting cast bullets. I only use H-110 for jacketed.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of opinion here! I like it! Lots of guys use H-110 and I've used a buch of it myself as well as winchesters 296. 296 generates the most velocity if you belive the manuels! The only way to really tell is over a chronograph. Both of these powders are a "ball" type. you should use a magnum primer with them per instructions of both powder companies!
    question: how cold will it get where you plan to hunt? Ball powders are noted for real power drop offs in cold weather. This means loads developed in the summer won't perform as well in the winter and that means a point of aim change.

I will suggest other powders: IMR-4227 or Hodgdon's H-4227.
    You'll still need those magnum primers but the load will be consistant summer or winter. It might be a little slower than loads powered by H-110 or 296 but if 50 FPS makes a difference as to weather your deer gets dead or not I'm going to suggest you stop shooting and call in an air strike!

Another powder suggestion is 2400. It was old Elmer Kieth's powder of choice and delivers good accuracy and power. Sadly I could never get over the fact that after I fired six rounds and opened my cylinder I could shake out enough unburned 2400 to make me wonder why I bothered with it. I actually shot at an under ground range that used old tires to muffle shot noise. the amount of unburned powder you could find in these tires was amazing and a lot of it was 2400. I stopped useing 2400 after I saw this and have had no problems with other powders since.

I hope this helps with you next batch of loads[8D]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I used 24gr. of H-110 with a 240gr. hp. with a heavy crimp in my Redhawk and Dan Wesson. You need a heavy crimp in a revolver with heavy loads to keep from bullet jump and it helps the powder burn.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used the 2400 for "nostalgia". It is kinda dirty, but the original. I use the H-110 and cause I got about 8#'s for free.[:D] And it's a good powder.Same for the 1000 CCI #300 Lrg Pistol primers......came with the free powder. Have used the Mag primers but the ol' carbine and Blackhawk show no real difference in accuracy one way or the other.
  • Options
    mark308mark308 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot whitetail with a 210gr bullet. I have always used h-110. I bought it when it first came out with the add that said "not for whimps"
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i use 27grs. H-110 with 200 XTP hornady hp with mild crimp in a SS ruger 77/44 carbine, kills like chain lighting when shot thru their lungs. eastbank.
  • Options
    jotiecoyotejotiecoyote Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Eagle,
    The hunting load I use in My Ruger: Carbine, Super Blackhawk(7.5"), and Redhawk(7.5") is 23grs of H 110. I shoot Nosler 240 gr JHP and CCI 350 primers. This load shoots tight in all three guns and fired cases extract easily. I worked up this data from 19.0 grs in 1.0 grain incriments. Accuracy should be the goal. Hot loads beat up you, your gun, and the brass.
    Because jacketed bullets are getting pricey these days I've been casting Lyman & RCBS 44 Keith bullets w/ linotype on top of 19grs of 2400. these shoot very tight groups even in my weaker Smith and Wessons. They make good practice rounds, but it's a dirty powder.
    HORNADY MANUAL 6th Edition,240gr XTP Ruger w 7.5"

H 110, WLP primer:20.7grs=1100FPS Max. 24.8grs=1400FPS

I use a heavy crimp and tight bullet to case fit.
  • Options
    JKB57JKB57 Member Posts: 137 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a little input here try winchester 296 23.0 grs with the 240 gr jacketed bullets and a federal 155 (LPM) primer use this in my 629 and Colt Anaconda and shoots really well
  • Options
    michael1952michael1952 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be carefull not to reduce H110 or 296 too much. You can have a problem. They are meant to be loaded hot. Check out Handloads.com or a good manual. Be carefull using what you get verbally or from unpublished surces.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A number of years ago I was playing around with my .44 and the "standard" Keith/Skelton load of 21/2400 with a 240 hard cast pill. I was surprised at how many references were made to the 21/22 grain load with no mention of what primer was used.
    I spent a couple of days with my chronograph and found, that with my loads, in my revolver (a Ruger SBH) Accuracy AND velocity were essentially identical with either 21/and the CCI 350 or 22/300. Temps were in the 70's; no cold weather chrono data done.
    In other words the mag primer boosted velocity about the same as did an extra grain of 2400. Since I still use 2400 (messy, yes, but velocities are high and consistent, regardless) I simply adjust the powder charge to whatever type of primer I have on hand.