In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need help with dies

hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
i'm trying to get started in reloading and i'm working on getting some dies and a press. what are the difference between competition dies and regular ones. i have never reloaded rifle rounds before so the simpler the better for me. i have a few books and some reloading manuals that i have been reading and now i'm just trying to get some of the other things i need to get started.

Comments

• Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    i'm trying to get started in reloading and i'm working on getting some dies and a press. what are the difference between competition dies and regular ones. i have never reloaded rifle rounds before so the simpler the better for me. i have a few books and some reloading manuals that i have been reading and now i'm just trying to get some of the other things i need to get started.

Regular dies resize the brass back to SAMMI dimensions. Competition dies depend on which brand and style. I use RCBS Comp dies for my 308Win. I only neck-size for it because I shoot a bolt gun. They Comp Full-length die is pretty much the same as the regular die but the expander ball is set higher on the decapper shaft to utilize leverage and be easier on the last part of the stroke. The Neck Size only dies only resize the neck of the case enough for good tension to secure the bullet. There are also neck sizing dies that utilize bushings that are interchangable to adjust neck tension. As far as the Comp seater goes the are almost always Micrometer adjustable dies to the 0.001", and most have a side load opening to ease in bullet placement, my RCBS seater uses a floating collar to help center the bullet as it is seated. However, competition dies are not a must to have accurate handloads, but they do help. Regular dies can be adjusted to size only the neck of a fire-formed case and regular seaters can be manually adjusted for each bullet seated but it becomes a hassle.

edit: either way you go, a plain full-length sizer is a must. It comes in handy to full-length size new brass, brass purchased once-fired, or stuff you pick up off the range.

Anyhow, Good Luck and welcome to the fun!
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hk-91:
    Your about to find out that thier are as many opinions about reloading dies as there are stars in the sky!

Depending on the makers "competition" dies my or my not have some type of "micrometer" like adjustment "dial" on the bullet seating die. "Standard" dies do not and you'll also see the usual "Madison Ave" advertising hype for these dies.

Having said that I'm going to make several assumptions.

1 I think your reloading for fun and range practice not for 1000 yard match use.

2 like anybody else just starting a hobby your on a budget.

So I'll make a suggestion: www.leeprecision.com Lee makes some great tools for the reloader. His latest creation is the Patented Collet die sets. The standard die set neck sizes only so you must use once fired brass from your rifle. The dies set lists foe a whole 36.98 and comes with a shell holder and reloading info for the caliber you've chosen to reload.

For 41.98 you get the same deal and it includes a full length resizeing die so you can do any cases you pick up that are reloadable.

If you don't use the full length die you do not need to lube the cases in the collet die a great time saver!

I belive Lee has an accuracy guaranty on these dies, please check his web site for details.

I've looked through his current catalog and can set myself up to load one caliber of my choice for about: $186.96!

This is everything! Powder measure, scale, dies and a press plus a priming tool and a few other small options, how can you go wrong?

This is for a single stage press. You can bump up to a turrent for a little more speed But I'd stay away from a progressive until you get some "stick" time under your belt.[8D]
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scrubberguy
    hk-91:
    Your about to find out that thier are as many opinions about reloading dies as there are stars in the sky!

Depending on the makers "competition" dies my or my not have some type of "micrometer" like adjustment "dial" on the bullet seating die. "Standard" dies do not and you'll also see the usual "Madison Ave" advertising hype for these dies.

Having said that I'm going to make several assumptions.

1 I think your reloading for fun and range practice not for 1000 yard match use.

2 like anybody else just starting a hobby your on a budget.

So I'll make a suggestion: www.leeprecision.com Lee makes some great tools for the reloader. His latest creation is the Patented Collet die sets. The standard die set neck sizes only so you must use once fired brass from your rifle. The dies set lists foe a whole 36.98 and comes with a shell holder and reloading info for the caliber you've chosen to reload.

For 41.98 you get the same deal and it includes a full length resizeing die so you can do any cases you pick up that are reloadable.

If you don't use the full length die you do not need to lube the cases in the collet die a great time saver!

I belive Lee has an accuracy guaranty on these dies, please check his web site for details.

I've looked through his current catalog and can set myself up to load one caliber of my choice for about: $186.96!

This is everything! Powder measure, scale, dies and a press plus a priming tool and a few other small options, how can you go wrong?

This is for a single stage press. You can bump up to a turrent for a little more speed But I'd stay away from a progressive until you get some "stick" time under your belt.[8D]

Scrubberguy hit right on the head with both hammers here![;)] Stay away from the progressives until you learn the basics because of the added complexity of trying to alternate between steps. This can call for some bad ju-ju if a step is missed or done twice.

Second, Lee dies and equipment are wonderful for their cost! They are very durable, very well made. They are a breeze to adjust and will last a lifetime.

In my opinion the only pieces that are a must are a set of dies, press, case trimmer of some sort, several manuals, a "GOOD" balance beam scale, GOOD dial calipers, debur tool, and a clean work area. All the other goodies are nice, but yet only neccesary if you get more serious about things.

edit:I just thought I would pass on some reading material that I found to be helpful on several topics including reloading! It is called "High Power Rifle Accuracy Before You Shoot" by Douglas E. Arnold. It covers quite a few things that might be of interest to you.