In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45acp reloads

reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
Any recommendations on good consistant reload combinations for 45acp. I just bought a Taurus 1911, I have reloaded for many different calibers, but 45acp is a first for me. I'm new to the forum and am lookin for some advise to save a little time working up loads. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    BshooterBshooter Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using VV 310 for both lead and jacketed 230 grain bullets. 4.1 grains for jacketed and 3.8 for lead. You still should work up to a load that is right for your pistol. Bshooter
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have a PT-1911 and I use my favorite load in it. I use a 200 lead SWC with 5.8gr of 231. It works well in mine.
  • Options
    HogdocHogdoc Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use W231, 5.7 gr and set the OAL at 1.255. It will make about 830 fps and works very well in any firearm.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello 200 grain lead SWC oal of 1.240 tapercrimped to.469 with your favorite powder to run about 800FPS. You might want to have 2 recoil springs one light for lead loads and one heavier for 230 Grain ball . I have been loading 5000-7500 rounds per year for the last 35+ years. Call me old school but I like bulls-eye powder might be dirty but shoots small groups[:p] and cheap[;)][;)]"Praise the HARD-BALL Gun"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hogdoc what grain bullet with the above powder load.quote:Originally posted by Hogdoc
    If you use W231, 5.7 gr and set the OAL at 1.255. It will make about 830 fps and works very well in any firearm.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    230 cast with 6.0 unique. Works fine lasts long time.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my Springfield Armory Champion 45ACP I use a 230 Hornady XTP with 5.7 of unique behind it with a CCI300 primer. With the bullet just seated off the riflings i shoot 3 inch groups at 25 yards. Good enough for me!
  • Options
    kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    225 gr. FPTC (or SWC) on top of 8.0 gr AA #5. Load easily makes "major" and groups 2"-2 1/2" out of both my 5" "stock gun" and compensated "racegun" 1911s.

Bill
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I love Rainier 230gr plated bullets with 5 gr of W231 & Winchester primers for an economical accurate practice round.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    200gr H&G ....over 5.4 - 5.8gr W-231. Win.primers and any make of brass. I also use allot of Red Dot. This month I loaded up a couple thousand rounds of "Tightgroup"...not bad...but I like the 231 better.
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    franksremotefranksremote Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To make major:
    4.1 Clays 200gr RN Moly 1.245 OAL
    4.7 Clays 200gr JFP 1.225 OAL

Soft shooting and clean(er) than most.

The most consistent I've found is Vhitavourri powders. To make major:
    4.0 N310 200gr RN Moly 1.245 OAL
    4.9 N310 200gr JFP Montana Gold bullet 1.225 OAL

Softest shooting, absolute cleanest and most consistent
  • Options
    SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with franksremote, but for everyday shootin' I like the 230 gr. fmj with 4.0 grns. of Clays. Low recoil, clean, and economical!
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    230 cast with 6.0 unique. Works fine lasts long time.

I like 'em milder for a day at the range.

5.5 grains seemed a little hot to me. So I'm backing it off.

Each to his own, though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Goldeneagle, 5.0 gr. of WW231 works great. I'm using Berrys 230gr. bullets. Almost 500 rounds and not one problem. thanks.
  • Options
    pistlropistlro Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using 3.9 to 4.0 of Bullseye behind a 200 grain LSWC for 20 years and have had excellent results. Good from 25 yards will hold the 10 ring in a good gun. very little recoil
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I like 5.7-5.8gr of 231 with a 200 swc in my match 1911's.
  • Options
    BshooterBshooter Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see a lot of shooters like 231 in their 45 ACP. Have you found that this powder is temperature sensative? In cold weather, the velocity will fall off. Just what I have experienced. Bshooter
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    for plinking, I love 5 grains of W231 powder, Winchester primers and Rainier 230gr plated bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bshooter
    I see a lot of shooters like 231 in their 45 ACP. Have you found that this powder is temperature sensative? In cold weather, the velocity will fall off. Just what I have experienced. Bshooter
    Sorry no help here as all of my shooting is indoors at this time. I do use the 5.0 of 231 and works very well so far. Thanks for all the info guys........ I hope this has been a helpful thread for others too.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've shot about everything over the years, and for just shooting I always come back to 5gr Bullseye under a 200gr RNFP Oregon Trail-Lazer Cast. Good, work in any gun cheap to shot load.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have tired several powders for my 45 auto. You may have heard good things about Bullseye, and they are correct, but it is filthy!
    Red dot and green dot work well but strangely enough I was turned on to Winchesters 452 AA about 15 years ago. I realize it has long since been dicontinued but it's replacement, SuperTarget, is just as good!

I have been useing 4.2 to 4.5 Grains of 452AA behind any, quality, 200 Grain semi wadcutter that will feed reliably in the pistol of choice with excellent results.

As a matter of fact I have yet to find a Colt series 70 or 80 pistol that will not put 5 rounds in a hole I can cover with a quarter at 25 yards. Off a rest of course!

One thing I have learned about Winchesters ball powders is they can be temperature sensitive,Cold no good, and very sensitive to a changre in type of primer. 452AA hates a magnum primers! Learned this when I switched from Std. federals to magnum federal large pistol during the great primer shortage of the late 90's I suddenly had a 45 caliber shotgun!

The 452AA load is also very consistent. The first time I ran this load over a chronograph I thought I had broken it as it read 775 for about 12 straight rounds before I got a 776 reading!

Can't ask for more that that![8D]
  • Options
    wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Scrubberguy 452AA was very good powder[:)] for 45ACP but has been discontinued for years.[:(]
  • Options
    gangrenegangrene Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.8 grs. Red Dot, 255 gr. hollowpoint wadcutters, mag primers = 940 fps = 500 ft. lbs.
    Grip tightly. ALWAYS ejects. Use a polyurethane recoil buffer so it won't crack your frame. And use a REAL 1911
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Perry Shooter, yes 452AA has been gone from the scene for awhile! I still see, on a rare occasion, 1 or 3 Lb kegs for sale. Snap them up when I can. I also mentioned that the 452 replacement was supertarget. This works just as well with a slightly lighter charge. Supertarget is still in production I think.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gangrene this load of 6.8 grains of reddot and a 250 gr bullet strikes me as way to hot. a quick look in Richard Lee's Modern reloading show a 240gr bullet 4.5 grains reddot at 770 and 19,200 PSI. Your load must me higher/hotter than that! But if it works for you I say go ahead on. It is your money and hands.

The old boy who taught me to reload years ago had a simple suggestion every time he saw me biting the High Velocity/power apple: If I need a magnum buy a magnum! trying to turn a 25 auto into a 44 magnum was only going to break parts, and maybe me,and I'll pass that good old suggestion along right now.

Plus it was a good reason to buy another gun I didn't have! Win Win for a shooter[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scrubberguy
    Gangrene this load of 6.8 grains of reddot and a 250 gr bullet strikes me as way to hot. a quick look in Richard Lee's Modern reloading show a 240gr bullet 4.5 grains reddot at 770 and 19,200 PSI. Your load must me higher/hotter than that! But if it works for you I say go ahead on. It is your money and hands.

The old boy who taught me to reload years ago had a simple suggestion every time he saw me biting the High Velocity/power apple: If I need a magnum buy a magnum! trying to turn a 25 auto into a 44 magnum was only going to break parts, and maybe me,and I'll pass that good old suggestion along right now.

Plus it was a good reason to buy another gun I didn't have! Win Win for a shooter[8D]

Compared to what I saw advertised on Ebay a couple years ago this load ain't so hot. The ad said:
    "This is a lot of 25 ultra-strong cases for the very hot loads we use here in "Bear Country" in our .45 ACP pistols. We shoot 200 grain hard cast lead bullets at 1400 fps (we have clocked max. loads at over 1500!) and 230 Nosler Jacketed Flat Point bullets at over 1300. This is done with 20 lb recoil springs and modified .308 rifle cases. We take commercial once-fired .308 brass and trim to .45ACP nominal length, then inside neck ream to make room for the bullet. All machining operations performed on a lathe in a precision jig to ensure concentricity and repeatability. Internal volumes are consistent and neck wall thickness is concentric and uniform. Loading recommendations enclosed (Hodgdon Long Shot powder preferred). Step up to a REAL .45!
    We use these in normal (non-supported) .45 barrels as well as supported Para Ordnance style barrels. Make sure the gun is recent manufacture and in good condition. Not recommended in old surplus guns. No reserve.
    45ACPBEARLOADBRASS.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gangrene:
    What a neat bit of info, I really like the photo of the cases nice and clear!

However this is also the problem when batering load information about without giving exact details! I wonder how many people actually thought these loads went into standard 45 auto cases? Safety in firearms needs to be everybodies issue as thier are way to many people out in the world who think common sense died with Ben Franklin. Ask the Ruger people about thier experience some time.

These loads, and I suspect your reddot load as well, are really "wildcats" for auto pistols. For an experienced shooter these are not a problem, for the beginner it could be a destroyed gun or worse.

I can't tell you how many guys I've met at the range who won't use reloads either because some dum * thought screwing with a beginner was funny or did not have enough common sense to heed the warning listed in the manuals!

In these cases the "new guy" generally winds up thinking that reloading is as safe as gargling with Nitroglcerine and won't have any more to do with it.

We all need our sport to florish and it needs to florish in all areas! A little "common sense" will keep our sport healthy and keep "big brother" off our doorstep![8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I stick with powders that you can't double-charge. In my old IPSC days I saw what happens when people use a double charge of W231 (I think, that pesky Alzheimers!) I've used up two 500 round boxes of the 255 grainers (Alberts - I can't even find them anymore) in this reload with no blown or deformed brass (all range brass fired multiple times) in a series 70 Colt. Common sense would be use this for a carry load and shoot lighter practice loads, but I started this load about 25 years ago when noticeably younger (younger people are always smarter - just ask one) and to quote the cowboy when asked why he rode his horse into the briar patch while drunk "it seemed like a good idea at the time".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gangrene:

Copy that![8D]
  • Options
    44 shotdoctor44 shotdoctor Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of users using bullseye. I think bullseye 5g. is very clean and works well with 230g LRN (900fps). On thing to keep in mind is a lot of 45's don't feed JHPoints very well. I own a new springfield xd45 and round nose feeds much better and this is what a 45 was designed for anyway. As for 200grain rounds all they do is increase the speed. Who needs it in a 45. A 45 is a slow moving round that tears into it's victim. A fantastic round.
  • Options
    jotiecoyotejotiecoyote Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One powder I've found works well in target loads for 45ACP, 357mag, and 44mag is Blue Dot.It burns fairly clean. In 45ACP I usually shoot 230gr Carroll RNL, cast Lyman #452375 225gr RNL and 180grHP Devastators, all using 7.5 grs of Blue Dot, CCI large pistol primers, COL is 1.240" w/ tapered crimp.
    This load shoots very well and functions in my 1911's and Sig 220.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44 shotdoctor
    There are a couple of users using bullseye. I think bullseye 5g. is very clean and works well with 230g LRN (900fps). On thing to keep in mind is a lot of 45's don't feed JHPoints very well. I own a new springfield xd45 and round nose feeds much better and this is what a 45 was designed for anyway. As for 200grain rounds all they do is increase the speed. Who needs it in a 45. A 45 is a slow moving round that tears into it's victim target/bad guy. A fantastic round.

There. I fixed it for you so's not to perpetuate the "victim" mentality.[:D]

Cheers.

By the way, when are we going to the range again?