In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifle question

HTGHTG Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
Just wondering if Hornady ammo will fit into Weatherby vangard 7mm rifles?

Comments

• Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to sound like a Smart *, but if the ammo is the correct caliber for the rifle it will work. Just because a rifle is manufactured by Weatherby doens't neccasarily mean that it is just chambered for a Weatherby cartridge.

edit: Stamped on the port, sorry left side of the barrel just in front of the reciever HTG it should say right there the caliber the rifle is chambered in.

edit: Just my opinion, but if you did buy a 7mm Weatherby Mag. trade it off and get you a 7mm Rem. Mag., it is a lot cheaper to shoot and ammo is always readily available.

Just my $0.02 though![;)]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be careful. Not sure if they chamber the Vanguard in 7MM Weatherby Mag or not, but...

If the rifle is chambered in 7mm Remington Magnum/SAUM/RUM than factory ammo in that cartridge will work.

If the rifle is chambered in 7mm Weatherby Magnum, than only the 7mm Weatherby Magnum ammo from Weatherby (The expensive stuff) will work.

Be sure of the actual cartridge the rifle is chambered in.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HTG, not to sound like a broken record, but there are a bunch of different 7mm cartridges. We need to know the actual caliber markings on the barrel to advise you better.
    All the manufactures make rifles that are chambered for cartridges that are made/named by other companies.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HTG,

Rule no.1 about safety is always use the correct ammunition for your firearm. Do like the others said and determine what caliber you have then by the ammo that you think should work for it. You will get a lot of advice down the road with this. But, it will always come down to your choice and your knowledge of your firearm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am planning on buying a 7mm Weatherby Vangard Synthetic from probably Walmart unless I find someone who sells them cheaper. I think these guns are made buy Howa. I have Remington Frontier 7mm mag brass that I am going to be loading with either 139 or 162 grain Hornady bullets. I'm just trying to figure out if these reloads will fit into that gun or If I will have to buy ammo? Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    HTG;
    You MUST ascertain if you are buying a;
    7mm WEATHERBY MAGNUM chambered in a Weatherby Vanguard rifle...OR a
    7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM chambered in a Weatherby Vanguard rifle.

Now..I don't believe that I have ever seen a 7mm Weatherby Magnum in a Wal-Mart...and not real sure they chamber their round in that rifle.

That being said..Any properly resized and reloaded 7mm Remington Magnum round SHOULD fit in ANY rifle marked " 7mm Remington Magnum" on the barrel in the place mentioned above.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found out that the Vangard only comes in a 7mm Rem Mag so I think all the brass I have will fit. Now I'm just wondering about accuracy. Not sure if I should load everything or just the one brass I have the most of. Thanks