In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 problem

fred921fred921 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
What is the best lube to use for .223? I am using Lee dies and a spray lube with teflon and the cases are sticking in the size die.

Comments

• Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Hornady's One Shot spary or RCBS's Case Lube-2. I have yet to have one stick.

I'm not saying either one is the "BEST", but I have had really good luck out of them.

I don't know how often this is happening or how many you sized prior to the sticking problem, but have you disassembled the die and degreased it good? I have had to do it before due to sticking issues.

edit: Being Lee dies I recommend disassembing the die and degreasing it real good. Give it a good scrub out with a degreaser and plastic bristled brush. I have had several issues with my Lee dies with the case lube drying and gumming up my size die. Don't ask me why, my others(RCBS, Redding, Bair) don't.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use RCBS Case Slick and don't have any sticking problems. Are you sure you are getting enough lube on the brass? What kind of lube is it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The dies are new. I did not degrease them. I will try it. Usually about the 4th or 5th one sticks. The lube is MAGNUM premium lube with PTFE.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Are you sure you are getting lube inside the neck ?

As stated..I use One Shot. Line the cases up side by side, spray them, roll em over and spritz 'em again...taking care to angle spray inside necks.
    Good to go..never another stuck case.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fred921
    The dies are new. I did not degrease them. I will try it. Usually about the 4th or 5th one sticks. The lube is MAGNUM premium lube with PTFE.

Ah hah, new dies! Clean the dies good before first use. They usually have a preservative on them to keep them from rusting, will cause cases to stick even when lubed. Can't say anything about the lube, never used it, but I doubt that is the total problem.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fred921,

I would for sure clean the die first. I've had a couple of them stick when brand new. Somebody on here a while ago noted that he polished the parts before putting them back together. I would expect they be polished enough but you get what you pay for I guess.

Anyhow, for lube I use the Lyman spray in the winter and the RCBS lube that you put on a pad in the summer. I load in my Garage and the below zero temps sometimes make the thicker RCBS way too slow to work with. In the summertime the thinner Lyman spray dries quickly and doesn't lube well. I have used Hornady One-shot and didn't like it. You are supposed to spray it on then let it dry. I found the cases still difficult to run through. So I have most of a can still left.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    I USE RCBS's Case Lube for everything 223 50ae 270 and no sticking, (yet)[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I degreased the die with brake cleaner and now it works great. Thanks for all the help and happy new year to all.[:D]