In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crimping in 223 primers?

jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
I am asking for a friend that is starting to reload 223Rem. for his ARs and M4! He is wanting to know if possible and how to crimp primers in handloaded ammo. I told him not to worry, but he insists. I have never run into a problem with primers backing out in my handloads, but he would not hear of it.

Anyone out there have any experience with this, do's and dont's?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The crimped primer thing is a military solution for the problem of combat arms developing excess headspace due to extended firing or an occasional high pressure round. The crimp prevents the primer from backing out of the case and jamming the action. As one article said "No one is going to stop to check headspace with bullets coming in". If it still goes bang, that's good enough. Crimping primers in place is seperate step in the loading process and I don't know of a company making tooling for home reloaders to do this. I suppose it is possible to make a cup shaped stud that would mount in the ram and a long pin for the inside of the case held in the press that would do the job. You run the risk of detonating a primer occasionally. Some sealer around the primer would be better.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Not for the home reloader to try It may go BANG when you try to crimp[:(!][V][xx(]
  • Options
    bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess for the folks that have been reloadin for years ---if there isnt a tool for it out there by one of the majors then it must not be necessary for a newbe to need one. Just reload um and shoot um. I see no need to try and build a better mouse trap.
    Dont make life any tougher than it is.

Load um and have fun.
    2cents
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    That sure sounds scarey to me, and I sure wouldn't want to be in the same area when he starts.......
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys! I just wanted him to see some other opinions on the subject. I have been loading 223 for my ARs for a couple of years now, commercial brass, mil-spec brass, almost all at near MAX load and have never had the problem of a primer backing out. The only thing I do is use primer sealant/nail polish on them. I keep trying to tell him after more than 30,000 rounds of reloads and no popped primers, I don't think you need to worry. Thanks again Guys![;)]
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the idea is foolish at best. There is no reason to do so, not to mention the inherent dangers involved. If he is that paranoid,..tell him to use primer sealant instead.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    If he wants a crimped primer tell him to buy military surplus. No one makes a tool which kinda tells you it isn't a problem handloaders need to worry about. If it was a problem someone would have come up with a tool. Besides who wants to crimp and decrimp every primer...tell you friend to forget the idea when handloading and just buy military surplus with a crimped primer if he has to have a crimped primer.